• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "HMRC Repaid me £12K in tax"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    True. I think I'll stick it in the cellar though, then if there's a flood I can hand over the soggy mess and tell them to knock themselves out. No rule saying the original paperwork has to be pristine and legible is there?
    No, but that might put them in a bad mood, and in a bad mood they can be excrutiatingly thorough!

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by boredsenseless
    Until you are investigated it doesn't matter one little bit.

However I think that it has to be actual paper. Just stuff it in a box and hide it in the loft

True. I think I'll stick it in the cellar though, then if there's a flood I can hand over the soggy mess and tell them to knock themselves out. No rule saying the original paperwork has to be pristine and legible is there?

Once handed over a load of paperwork to the accountant after it had been in the boot of the car and a bottle of wine broke over it.

Chateauneuf Du Pap(er) I think it was. Sorry.
    Last edited by Captain Dispensable; 1 May 2007, 11:36.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Why don't you give £11k of that £12k to SallyAnne.

That would be one fantastic thank you shag.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by bobsmithldn
    Hahaha! Got a nice cheque for £12K for HMRC for overpaid tax plus overestimation of personal tax liability ... yippy! Made my weekend ...
    I wonder how long it will be before they ask for it back?

I'm just thinking of the 2 million people who got the wrong tax credits last year.

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    I hate all the old paper clogging up the place. Can we scan, shred, and recycle or does it have to be actual paper?
    Until you are investigated it doesn't matter one little bit.

However I think that it has to be actual paper. Just stuff it in a box and hide it in the loft

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    I hate all the old paper clogging up the place. Can we scan, shred, and recycle or does it have to be actual paper?

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Are you still hiding under the bed incase they realise and want it back, plus interest?

What are the current rules with how long the IR scum have to realise any mistakes and come knocking? I think it was 6 or 8 years, probably 60 now.
    It's 6 years for a company.

Individuals they can query anything for a year from the deadline for the self assessment. After that they have to have a reason to re-open the file.

However if in a query/investigation they uncover a problem they can go back 20 years. So looks like the 1400 isn't safe yet

Also you have to keep all paperwork for 6 years from the end of tax year to which it relates. The fines for not having this paperwork are steep, and then they can estimate the figures (from educated analysis and experience) and its your word against theirs.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Are you still hiding under the bed incase they realise and want it back, plus interest?

What are the current rules with how long the IR scum have to realise any mistakes and come knocking? I think it was 6 or 8 years, probably 60 now.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    The ex worked for the IR(business dept). The department was called up with a complaint that their business tax was set to zero - it should have been £20,000. They found the ex had keyed it in wrongly - if no complaint he would have paid nothing. What a 2@.

In 1991 the IR forgot to ask me for all my higher rate tax - £1400.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Are you certain it's valid?

A colleague received a 19k refund earlier this year.. he had no idea why he'd received it and wisely didn't spend it

They have just asked for it back !!

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Depends on the interest they should have paid.

I once paid a few grand too much in corp tax because my then accountant (useless twat) took so long getting my accounts ready the IR scum were harassing me for payment so just did a best guess. They sent it back plus interest some months later. Can't remember the interest level but if it's the same as they charge then 7% (?) is better than most savings accounts!

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Sack your accountant then, I'd rather keep it than get it back...

Leave a comment:

• bobsmithldn
    started a topic HMRC Repaid me £12K in tax

HMRC Repaid me £12K in tax

Hahaha! Got a nice cheque for £12K for HMRC for overpaid tax plus overestimation of personal tax liability ... yippy! Made my weekend ...

Working...
X