• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Forgotten brands

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Forgotten brands"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    I recall the trick was to suck all the favour out leaving just a ice shell behind - then launch....but also not seen them around for ages
    ...I wonder why!

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Marshes Sass, a lovley drink peculiar to Cumbria and Northern Lancashire. Stopped making it because the EU decided that one of the ingredients was illegal!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    #For hands that do dishes as soft as your hands it's mild green fairy liquid#

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    "I'll risk it for a Swisskit".

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD
    Jubbly's were the AIM-120s of the school playgrounds - one good aim at the head and another kid with a inop RWR drops like a sack of spuds...
    I recall the trick was to suck all the favour out leaving just a ice shell behind - then launch....but also not seen them around for ages

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    I genuinely miss proper Dandelion & Burdock and Sasparilla. Apparently there are root bears of similar taste out there but they're bleedin well hidden round here.
    I was amazed to see cans of Dandelion & Burdock at the local Sainsburys... a pale imitation of what I remember from childhood, but enough to let the kids get a taste

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Jubbly's were the AIM-120s of the school playgrounds - one good lock at the head and another kid with a inop RWR drops like a sack of spuds...
    Last edited by hyperD; 22 April 2007, 10:38.

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by foritisme
    Aztec Bars

Marathon (Snickers still sounds stupid)
    Cremola foam - chemical crystals to make a refreshingly fruitlike fizzy drink. Came in a wee tin as well.

Kellogs Rise n' Shine - such a seventies concept - orange juice in a packet.

Chuckles - boiled sweets in a long skinny packetm loved em!

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    Aztec Bars

Marathon (Snickers still sounds stupid)

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Ahh the 80s...

Smash

Toast Toppers

Cigarette sweets

Cola Cubes

Sherbet UFOs

Vimto (sp?)

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    I genuinely miss proper Dandelion & Burdock and Sasparilla. Apparently there are root bears of similar taste out there but they're bleedin well hidden round here.
    I'm sure they've stopped doing Aqua Libra now too, although that wasn't yesteryear as in "bygone days" but only a year or two ago.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Those were the days....

Spangles - boiled fruit sweets.

Buttersnap - now called Dime bars and half the size

Vesta Curries - dried powdered chicken or beef curry in a pack with another pack of rice. Just add water and you got a great tasting curry (nothing like the original but still tasted good, even if the peas and chicken did stay very chewy after cooking).

Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream - Like all 70s ice creams, they were sold in blocks to slice like bread. This was 'special' occasion ice cream that looked like Stilton cheese (only it was streaked with vivid red) that you had when you wanted a change from Cornish vanilla or chocolate or strawberry or rather pink or brown ice cream with tons of E-numbers.

Victory V sweets - square greyish tablets that tasted hot and peppery at the same time. Really yum!

Blamange - nice pink, yellow or chocolate wobbly opaque jellymould kiddy food that came in powder packs which you just added milk to and set in the fridge. It didn't really taste of anything really, and certainly not strawberry, banana or chocolate - but was always served with jelly at kids parties.

Angel Delight or Instant Whip. - Powdered flavoured mousse - usually strawberry, chocolate, vanilla or banana (or more accurately pink, brown, cream or vivid yellow). You just emptied out the powder and added milk and whipped up and placed in fridge.

Walls sausages. Those nice floppy bright pink sausages you got in the 70s that were made of rusk, additives, spices and loads of salt and fat which just a hint on pork meat to legally allow them to be labelled pork.

Tinned fruit salad. This was the best. Empty out a tin of rich thick fruit syrup loaded with little cubes of pink (peach), orange (mango), white (pear) and bright red balls (fruit cake cherries). The fruit all tasted the same except the cherries that tasted like mazipan and it was impossible to tell whether you were eating. Great stuff!

Harvest Fruit Pies - smelt great, cut them open and you got a pastry shell with a thinnish layer of blackberry and apple or apricot fruit jammy stuff inside covering the bottom inner layer of the pastry and an empty space above it. The upper pastry lid seems to stay put with nothing to support it underneath. A civil engineer must have designed these. Magic!

Mr Kipling chocolate cup cakes. A sunday teatime treat in our house. Basically a tray of 6 large dark brown serated edged fairy cakes made of very dry inedible sponge covered on top with a thick layer of very sweet chocolate flavour goo.

I'm surprised I'm still alive.

Leave a comment:

• Burdock
    replied
    Pacers.... (green and white pseduo-chewitts)

Twists.... salt n vinegar spirally crisps

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Pacers, white soft mint sweetd with a green line around the middle

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack
    Fentimans do a nice D&B, and their cola's nice too.

As long as it's not like the tulipe sold in supermarkets full of sweeteners and carciogens, allegedly.

I see it's 90p + vat on GoodnessDirect. May as well get some for the office and make use of the vat reclaimability

Leave a comment:

Working...
X