• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Abolition of Slavery: Apologise or Not Apologise. Discuss."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Question time

Looked like the audience understood it was about cash not pretty apologies.

Sad really, our ancestors abolish a widely carried out legal trade (quite rightly) on moral grounds and defend that decision with arms, all the descendants of some of the victims can think of is to look for a paycheck. I liked the comment from the lady regarding her Grandmother in the RAJ, sounds like she is worried that would be the next "fairness lottery".

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    White mans burden eh?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
    I like the linked blog by Tim Worstall - but I can see some people on this board being disgusted by it...

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    The protesters also called for reparations to be made to help narrow the gap between the black communities and the rest of society.
    White mans burden eh?

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/03/366019.html

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    In This Day and Age

In this day and age,
    There is the temptation,
    To make a quick buck,
    From an odd inclination.

In this day and age,
    There's no black or white,
    Just shades of grey,
    Tainted with spite.

In this day and age,
    All are born in to blame,
    And as Justice tells us,
    Where there's blame there's a claim.

In this day and age,
    We absolve our belief,
    That we are responsible,
    For other's grief.

In this day and age,
    Nothing we do,
    Is good for me,
    And good for you,

BGG 2007

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    Let's see now.

http://notsaussure.wordpress.com/200...y-reparations/

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    But then, thats just what it is - just an opinion isn't it? And we don't ram them down each others throats do we?

Didn't think so...

Of course not!

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Ahhh brilliant!!! Bravo!!!!

A truly wonderful post

Biggest pile of tulip I've read over the last few days imho. But then, thats just what it is - just an opinion isn't it? And we don't ram them down each others throats do we?

Didn't think so...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne

A truly wonderful post
    No, it's self-flagellatory crap.
    Last edited by wendigo100; 28 March 2007, 09:55. Reason: speling

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by dang65
    To those that say "it was nothing to do with me", how about this. The Battle of Britain and the liberation of Europe was nothing to do with you; Magna Carta wasn't; Charles Darwin wasn't; defeating the Spanish Armada wasn't; William Shakespeare wasn't; the struggles of the Welsh Miners' Trade Unions weren't; the 1966 World Cup Final wasn't. And you can stop letting off ******* fireworks on November 5th too - the Gunpowder Plot was foiled in 1605 when the Slave Trade was in full flow. Nothing to do with you. Just forget it; that was 300 years ago.

If you can't feel personal shame and disgrace at Britain's involvement in the Slave Trade (and we were by far and away the biggest perpetrators and the biggest beneficiaries) then I really don't see how you can have any right whatsoever to feel personal pride in Britain's many great achievements either.

A truly wonderful post

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong
    The Italian government must be quaking in their boots. Imagine the reparation payments they'll be liable to cough up for the Romans' empirical ambitions.

Romans? As someone who lived in Norfolk, I can tell you that Boudicca was no saint either.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    The Italian government must be quaking in their boots. Imagine the reparation payments they'll be liable to cough up for the Romans' empirical ambitions.

Leave a comment:

• cykophysh39
    replied
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/6499977.stm

To those who say there is no monetary agenda involved in the "Apology" what does that sign say?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Typical pc lefty tulipe. Where's the sense apologising for something someone else did hundreds of years ago?

If we do apologise, does that make everything OK suddenly? Will attitudes towards black people be changed overnight, will their career prospects immediately become brighter and their housing transformed into show-homes?

Will poverty ridden ghettos just melt away, and violent crime, drug use and gang culture become a distant, hazy memory?

. . . or maybe it's just about making a fast buck for doing **** all?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X