• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wrongly Convicted Must Pay for Prison"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Nothing much to add to Swiss Tony's sensible comment. In arriving at compensation you try and arrive at a figure that puts them where they would have been financially without the imprisonment plus extra for the enjoyment of life they have missed. The first part necessarily involves looking at the expenses they did not have.

PS Had I been the judge I would have deducted a sum for all the free gay bum sex. They got off lucky.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    Indeed. It's a strange concept.

So in future if someone is kidnapped and held in a basement for the next 8 years (e.g. that German girl) then they can be expected to cough up for the privilege of being provided with 'accomodation'.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    I wonder if they will also be charged backdated council tax, as they are not 'deemed' prisoners...? Retrospectively, of course...

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/6449495.stm

I am stunned that such a ruling can be made.
    On a little reflection, I am especially stunned that only innocent men have to pay their board and lodging, and guilty men do not.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    £670,000 for 11 years of your life!?!? You could add another 0 to that and I'd still say no.
    Indeed. The real monetary value of something is the amount of money that you would swap it for.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by Swiss Tony
    Got to admit getting hammered in the showers by hairy blokes isn’t my idea of fun either! ….. AtW?
    When were you inside? We might have met?

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    When you put it that way, not e-bloody-nough.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    They have been deducted 25% of their payments and those figures are post deduction so thats 330,000 for 11 years in jail which comes out at about 80 quid a night.

Not sure HMPs star ratings would command that kind of price.

This whole thing is a disgrace. Wrongly convicted, falsely imprisoned and then charged for the privilage.

How much of the compensation is for loss of earnings during that time, let alone the lost freedom and life.

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw
    £670,000 for 11 years of your life!?!? You could add another 0 to that and I'd still say no.
    Got to admit getting hammered in the showers by hairy blokes isn’t my idea of fun either! ….. AtW?

Leave a comment:

• snaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    Quote: Michael Hickey was awarded £990,000 in compensation and Vincent Hickey £506,220, subject to the deductions.

Michael O'Brien spent 11 years in prison after being wrongly convicted in 1988 of the murder of a Cardiff newsagent.

He was awarded £670,000 subject to similar deductions.

Must say when I first read it I was shocked, though looking at what they have gotten in compensation I don't think any of them will complain. Had they had no compensation then I would be totally outraged.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Wrongly Convicted Must Pay for Prison

Wrongly Convicted Must Pay for Prison

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/6449495.stm

I am stunned that such a ruling can be made.

Working...
X