• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dead cat bounce

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dead cat bounce"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    I danced in the morning when the world was begun
    I danced in the Moon & the Stars & the Sun
    I came down from Heaven & I danced on Earth
    At Bethlehem I had my birth:

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH
    Welcome to the real world. Boring as hell most of the time.

Don't worry it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with Matrix Beta where you can plug into your alternative reality of choice and forget about all this real world bollox.

If what Bill Hicks said about all this being about god experiencing himself in multiple ways and dimensions, I wish I could have dreamt up something more interesting. tulip.
    I dont know about Bill Hicks - but what you describe reminds me of the Hindu version of God (Brhama - or however you spell it )

The idea being that we are all part of the dream thoughts of Bramha who activates the Material Universe through the dance of Layla - so our exsitence is not ours - its is all part of the cosmic dream/dabce - so even a mundane 'Day in the Life' is part of the Godhead comsic dream

Woke up - Fell out of Bed
    Dragged a comb accross my head

And when the Dream is over- then the cycle of Dreams ends with the age of Kali (destruction) and the Material Univsers ends.

'Atishoo Atishoo - we all fall down'

But dont worry !

You see Brahma then gets a bit bored with nothingness and decides to start the show all over again - just for the fun it - and before yhou know it Layla is dancing and the whole crazy universe is back in motion.

Just because - well God likes to Dance.

Because - it is a fun thing to do.

Oh - and a Cosmic Joke or two - so he creates these comical fragile things called humans.

And you thought he was some serious geezer with a Beard - so you didnt dance and went to your job everdyay and felt really miserable -worryng about this that and the other ...

Then one day you will be taken to a hospital - and your relaitves will say you wil be out soon - and what fun you will have when you do - but you wont - and then one day you will simply no longer be here - and the last sound you hear - will be Gods cosmic laughter that you didnt get the joke !

Because YOU - didnt exist - you were part of the Dream.

So laugh and Dance - all else is Folly.

Be seeing you ...

So long ago
    Was it in a dream, was it just a dream?
    I know, yes I know
    Seemed so very real, it seemed so real to me

Took a walk down the street
    Thru the heat whispered trees
    I thought I could hear (hear, hear, hear)
    Somebody call out my name as it started to rain

Two spirits dancing so strange

Ah! böwakawa poussè, poussè

Dream, dream away
    Magic in the air, was magic in the air?
    I believe, yes I believe
    More I cannot say, what more can I say?

On a river of sound
    Thru the mirror go round, round
    I thought I could feel (feel, feel, feel)
    Music touching my soul, something warm, sudden cold
    The spirit dance was unfolding

Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 6 April 2007, 09:11.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Welcome to the real world. Boring as hell most of the time.

Don't worry it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with Matrix Beta where you can plug into your alternative reality of choice and forget about all this real world bollox.

If what Bill Hicks said about all this being about god experiencing himself in multiple ways and dimensions, I wish I could have dreamt up something more interesting. tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    A dead cat bounce is a term used in market economics to
    I got as far as this before I turned off and wondered how My L70 Character in World of Warcraft was doing on the Auction House.

Strangely, that seems to be the way I think.

IT Meeting : Director : "Thanks everyone for coming. Now our performance targets....<CUT>
    BGG thinks to himself "Did I turn the dishwasher on this morning ?"

Orange Sales Call :"Hello Mr BGG, I was wondering if <CUT>
    BGG thinks to himself "I wonder if my character in World of Warcraft sold his Green Shoulder loot?"

M&S Sales Assistant :"Thank you. Please enter you pin <CUT> number"
    BGG thinks to himself "Pins ! I must check my curtains to ensure I removed the pins"

Parasol IT :"Hi, we have noticed <CUT> that blah blah blah"
    BGG thinks to himself "What did that notice say that I passed earlier today...something about life coaching i think"

It seems that as hard as I try to concentrate on the subject at hand, I seem to go off on a tangent when something provokes me and focus on that instead.

The weirdest thing has been when I have worked in an open plan office, turned up for work, done my job, and remembered nothing of the day when i get home. Colleagues have said "don't you remember when Colin the Saddo was fired opposite you" and all I can say is "I know Colin. But I was not aware he was fired today"......it's like time passes and I cannot account for it. I slept through the 1987 hurricane FFS".

The trouble is, the job i do is not that well paid.

I have to be touchy-feeley smiley with lots of people and schmooze and deal with them. But to be honest any muppet can do that and it's all bollox anyway. That's for peope with no quals.

I'm looking for something a bit more deeper and challenging. Something that keeps me focussed all day, without time for idle banter or timewasting. I can do my current job with my eyes closed and still have time to let my mind wander during the day.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    hindsight

threaded,

when you said 'the dead can bounce is over, it's on its way down again', you actually called the bottom point. Almost to the hour.

Reverse psychology or egg-on-face?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Because of the ability to short stock these bounces become more prolific. The trick is to guess when the bounce will first occur. Most shorters close out after a week.

You can look at the shares traded and if excessive for a company where there has been no bad news then this is normally a good indicator. Lloyds TSB being a good one. Its div yield is now at 6.4% and has fallen way short of its recent high, so a 10% bounce back IMHO + 6.4% yield over the year. At least a 15% in 12 months.

Hopefully some more falls in the short term though.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    Hmm - nice use of italic and bold there
    Yeah, yeah I know!

Churchill - In "Don't you just hate it when that happens?" mode.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I see the coffee machine nearest the manager's desk is still updated!

Spendid!

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    That's alright, neither did Threaded.

Always remember churckus, people love you [i]because[/b] you're big, fat and ugly.

Hmm - nice use of italic and bold there

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by churkus
    A dead cat bounce is a term used in market economics to describe a pattern wherein a moderate rise in the price of a stock follows a spectacular fall, with the connotation that the rise does not indicate improving circumstances. It is derived from the notion that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height".

The phrase has been used on the trading floors for many years. However the earliest recorded use of the phrase dates from 1985 when the Singaporean and Malaysian stock markets bounced back after a hard fall during the recession of that year. The Financial Times reported a stock broker as saying the market rise was a 'dead cat bounce'.

The reasons for such a bounce can be technical - investors may have standing orders to buy shorted stocks if they fall below a certain level, to cover certain option positions, or for speculation. Since bounces often occur, investors buy into what they hope is the bottom of the market, expecting a bounce and thus make a quick profit. The very act of anticipating a bounce can create and magnify it.

A market rise after a sharp fall can only really be seen to be a "dead cat bounce" with the benefit of hindsight. If the stocks starts to fall again in the following days and weeks, then the bounce was for technical or speculative reasons. If the stock remains steady, then the bounce is merely a correction to over-selling.

Well, I didnt know wtf it meant.
    That's alright, neither did Threaded.

Always remember churckus, people love you because you're big, fat and ugly.
    Last edited by Churchill; 15 March 2007, 07:34.

Leave a comment:

• churkus
    replied
    A dead cat bounce is a term used in market economics to describe a pattern wherein a moderate rise in the price of a stock follows a spectacular fall, with the connotation that the rise does not indicate improving circumstances. It is derived from the notion that "even a dead cat will bounce if it falls from a great height".

The phrase has been used on the trading floors for many years. However the earliest recorded use of the phrase dates from 1985 when the Singaporean and Malaysian stock markets bounced back after a hard fall during the recession of that year. The Financial Times reported a stock broker as saying the market rise was a 'dead cat bounce'.

The reasons for such a bounce can be technical - investors may have standing orders to buy shorted stocks if they fall below a certain level, to cover certain option positions, or for speculation. Since bounces often occur, investors buy into what they hope is the bottom of the market, expecting a bounce and thus make a quick profit. The very act of anticipating a bounce can create and magnify it.

A market rise after a sharp fall can only really be seen to be a "dead cat bounce" with the benefit of hindsight. If the stocks starts to fall again in the following days and weeks, then the bounce was for technical or speculative reasons. If the stock remains steady, then the bounce is merely a correction to over-selling.

Well, I didnt know wtf it meant.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    It hasn’t bounced because it needs to fall further and hit the bottom harder, it’s just hitting a few branches on the way down at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    The dead cat bounce is over, it's on its way down again.
    Yeah, $INDU hasn't been this low since........... November last year.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    That'll be the "American Dream" turning to rattulip then, eh?
    If ( when !? ) they go down the pan then we'll be following not long after. All the economies have been propped up on cheap credit since the dot com crash, it'll unravel at some stage.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    cat has 9 lives, it will bounce again

Leave a comment:

Working...
X