• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Nazis. Nasty fellas or a little misunderstood?"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Novice Contractor
    Did you serve YOUR country and put your life on the line smartarse?
    A piece of advice (take it or leave it) SB is an ill-educated, potato peeling ex-squaddie with an inferiority complex.

Just ignore him.

Leave a comment:

• Novice Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy
    So not that far off being a pacifist then, to all intents and purposes?
    Did you serve YOUR country and put your life on the line smartarse?

Leave a comment:

• Novice Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll
    I could never work out why there was & still is so much negative comment about dropping the Atomic bombs on Japan.

I agree that the lives saved justified their use, but comparable numbers of civillians were killed in the firestorm bombings of Tokyo - if you are dead does it matter which type of weapon was used?

I just can't see where the moral indignation about Hiroshima & Nagasaki comes from
    I gues it's because of the radation effects that killed for many years after the bomb, caused terrible suffering, miscarriages, deformations etc. Not really a 'one time' weapon. Leonard Cheshire was a highly decorated Dambuster pilot (won the VC amongst other decorations), who throughout the war probably killed thousands; however flying as an observer on the Atom Bomb missions caused him so much revulsion that he dedicated his life to charitable work thereafter founding the Cheshire Homes

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    Quote:

Germany may remove Hitler's citizenship
    BRAUNSCHWEIG, Germany, March 12 (UPI) -- Several German officials have proposed that Nazi leader Adolf Hitler be stripped of his national citizenship for his infamous actions.

Parliamentary members from Braunschweig proposed the move to help distance the city from the Nazi leader, as the German city originally aided Hitler in obtaining national citizenship, the Times of London said.

By tabbing Hitler as a civil servant on Feb. 26, 1932, Braunschweig officially made the Austrian national a German citizen.

Germany may remove Hitler's citizenship

Just to add fuel to the fire, do they think that removing his German citizenship will make it less of their fault? Are they trying to hide behind this?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    Hiroshima & Nagasaki probably saved more lives, by forcing the Japanese capitulation, than they destroyed
    I could never work out why there was & still is so much negative comment about dropping the Atomic bombs on Japan.

I agree that the lives saved justified their use, but comparable numbers of civillians were killed in the firestorm bombings of Tokyo - if you are dead does it matter which type of weapon was used?

I just can't see where the moral indignation about Hiroshima & Nagasaki comes from

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Sure London was bombed, but let's be honest here - Allies were bombing many more civilian targets in Germany.
    Oh, well, it'll be all right to bomb London then.

Leave a comment:

• Stan
    replied
    Hiroshima & Nagasaki probably saved more lives, by forcing the Japanese capitulation, than they destroyed
    Wow these nukes sound great.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    BTW, I am not a pacifist I served 13 years in the RAF
    So not that far off being a pacifist then, to all intents and purposes?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Allo, Allo!

Someone's lost the plot!

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. **** I must learn not to skim read.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Ever heard of Dresden? In Hiroshima (if all of the missing are presumed dead) a total of about 92000 died. In Dresden up to 100,000 died. BTW, I am not a pacifist I served 13 years in the RAF, even so Dreden was bad
    Sorry to come back on this so late (bloody work)

And by the end of the Battle of Britain & the Blitz, about 60,000 British civilians had been killed, and 80,000 injured (my mother among them, when her school was bombed), Dresden was "pay back". Not pretty, but if you start a war targeting civilians, you should expect to get people annoyed (a lesson that seems to have been forgotten today).

And my grandmother remembered being both bombed by Zeppelins, AND being shelled by the German navy in WW 1

Leave a comment:

• Swiss Tony
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Sure London was bombed, but let's be honest here - Allies were bombing many more civilian targets in Germany.
    AtW is Joseph Goebbels. I claim my £5!

Leave a comment:

• Novice Contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    You reap what you sow.
    Ultimately it may yet save more lives as wise heads in other countries realise that the Anglo-Saxons can be as brutal as they need to be when national survival is at stake.

HTH.
    If only that was true, unfortunately Blair and Bush will almost certainly not

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Ever heard of Dresden? In Hiroshima (if all of the missing are presumed dead) a total of about 92000 died. In Dresden up to 100,000 died. BTW, I am not a pacifist I served 13 years in the RAF, even so Dreden was bad
    You reap what you sow.
    Ultimately it may yet save more lives as wise heads in other countries realise that the Anglo-Saxons can be as brutal as they need to be when national survival is at stake.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Novice Contractor
    replied
    Ever heard of the Blitz?

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    "I was there a few months ago, IIRC the US Embassy is right by the Brandenburg gate and there is a big fuss going on because the yanks want to re-route the traffic around the area to accommodate the extra security measures and fortifications that they insist on, jerry doesn't like it."

The building I was in was next door to the new US embassy and my hotel was just round the corner from the old one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X