• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "oh dear: House prices continue to go through the roof"

Collapse

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    People are worried they are missing the free money boat. Reminds me of a pyramid scheme, sooner or later someone is going to get screwed.
    I Blame Gordon Brown and his tinkering/undermining of pensions in the UK

BTL only boomed once people working in the private sector realised their pensions were going to amount to zilch so many all lemming-like put their savings into BTL.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    You don't seem to have grasped the concept of insignificant impact - if I jump it would make some impact, but it does not mean people in China would hear it
    Top Tip,
    alexei, go and take a running jump in China.......or India.......or anywhere far away for that matter. Don't rush back either, we are stocked out with idiots here already!
    Leave those of us astute enough to be on the property ladder to count our profits in peace!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    People are worried they are missing the free money boat. Reminds me of a pyramid scheme, sooner or later someone is going to get screwed.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    I dont think this housing boom is caused by immigrants. The main reason seem to be so called inestors buying 5,10 or 20 properties just for BTL .
    Spot on.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    I dont think this housing boom is caused by immigrants. The main reason seem to be so called inestors buying 5,10 or 20 properties just for BTL .

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    You don't seem to have grasped the concept of the knock-on effect, explained as well as anyone by sockpuppet.
    You don't seem to have grasped the concept of insignificant impact - if I jump it would make some impact, but it does not mean people in China would hear it: immigrants do not use much housing (though they might stress council houses resource).

If it was not for banks doing irresponsible lending then house prices would have never reached current levels.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    AtW, if all those immigrants aren't living in houses, where are they living? Trees?

I'll grant you some might be living in cardboard boxes, under piers, and in tents, but the majority have got themselves under a roof somewhere - it is immaterial whether they buy, rent or squat - which ultimately affects everyone.

You don't seem to have grasped the concept of the knock-on effect, explained as well as anyone by sockpuppet.
    Why are rents not going up if demand is outstretching supply of housing?

Only one thing is keeping the bubble going, BTL and it's reached saturation point as demonstrated by falling real term rents. If your assertion were true rents would be rising in line with house prices, they are not. Yields are falling, how can that be?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I have a shoe box, which I have worked out at current property prices, it is worth £63.67.

Which ain't bad for a shoe box.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    They don't buy houses - and won't buy for a long time if at all, and their usage of existing houses that they rent is as efficient as it can possibly be (4-6 adults in a 3 bedroom house is not uncommon).

Demand on housing obviously goes up but by a very low value and demand for buying houses by those people is next to zero - even I don't buy a house even though I am much better off than most of new immigrants.
    AtW, if all those immigrants aren't living in houses, where are they living? Trees?

I'll grant you some might be living in cardboard boxes, under piers, and in tents, but the majority have got themselves under a roof somewhere - it is immaterial whether they buy, rent or squat - which ultimately affects everyone.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Hart-floot
    because of the btl glut.

Buy to letters (many of us on here methinks) go after the same sort of property first time buyers go for - thus raising prices, keeping demand higher than it used to be when compared to the early 90's price collapse. At the same time there is far more rental supply today thus depressing rents; so all the prospective first time buyers can drive a hard bargain at the moment.
    Yes, there is plenty of supply, so how can the boom continue?

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    All well and good, but if that is true why aren't rents rocketing?
    because of the btl glut.

Buy to letters (many of us on here methinks) go after the same sort of property first time buyers go for - thus raising prices, keeping demand higher than it used to be when compared to the early 90's price collapse. At the same time there is far more rental supply today thus depressing rents; so all the prospective first time buyers can drive a hard bargain at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Jawz .
    replied
    Move to India. It's hot, they do good currys and there's no fat chicks.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Which reduces the supply of crappier houses and forces people to spend more to get onto the ladder which increases costs at the next level which increases costs at the next level which....
    If demand for housing is so high why aren't rents rising ?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Euro-commuter
    = AtWspeak for "I think that..."
    And has become abundantly clear over the years on here, AtW and "thinking" are not that firmly coupled. He is clearly wired wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Euro-commuter
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    There is a clear need for 2 laws:
    = AtWspeak for "I think that..."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X