• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Shopping in Southampton"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    I still don't get what multiculturalism has got to do with a city center being redevleoped?
    Or was it the immigrants fault for bringing in millions of pounds, buying up everything in sight and then bulldozing the lot to make way for an indoor shopping center?

It is the Labour Party’s official policy to state that emigrants benefit the country, but official figure overall show it costs.

Southampton has 30% unemployment in the emigrant districts. READ THE FACTS. A vast area of the town centre was knocked down to build flats to house emigrants.

Areas that were prosperous up until the 50s are now turned into renal ghettos.

People not emigrate in order to invest money into their new country.

The vast majority of emigrates who earn good money to start with sent a high proportion if not the vast majority of their money back to their country of origin.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    You never know when it might come in handy...
    Yup, all I've got to do is dig up a cannon to go with it. Perfect for when HMRC decide to close for action

Offtopic, we need some Naval themed Smilies!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Lived in Stubbington for a few of my formative years while dad was stationed at HMS Collingwood. Don't remember much of it now but it seemed like fun at the time.

I remember digging up a 5lb round shot from the back garden though. Still got it lurking in the garage somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    I still don't get what multiculturalism has got to do with a city center being redevleoped?
    Or was it the immigrants fault for bringing in millions of pounds, buying up everything in sight and then bulldozing the lot to make way for an indoor shopping center?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Warsaw-on-Sea

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Don't remember it being very multicultural circa 99 or very nice. Dull concrete city, best avoided.
    one in 10 of the population of Southampton is Polish

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Images...m46-159061.pdf
    Last edited by Paddy; 5 March 2007, 11:50.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Don't remember it being very multicultural circa 99 or very nice. Dull concrete city, best avoided.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy
    Southampton City Council have ruined a once prosperous city and tuned it into an emigrants multicultural paradise.
    well done on squeezing that in there

Leave a comment:

• Jawz .
    replied
    Originally posted by Masher
    Didn't they reclaim land from the sea in Southampton. I always felt they should have been doing the exact opposite.
    It's only a matter of time my friend - roll on Global Warming!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Southampton did have good shopping with some independent shops and independent department stores. City Council policy with excessive high rates and compulsory redevelopment closed them down. The final blow to last of independent shop was the creation of the new indoor shopping areas. Now Southampton has the same shops as any other town.

Southampton City Council have ruined a once prosperous city and tuned it into an emigrants multicultural paradise.

Just compare the success of Rotterdam with Southampton.

Leave a comment:

• Jawz .
    replied
    Originally posted by freakydancer
    Muppet!!
    Hey don't knock it, the Burtons there is the biggest in the UK.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    managed to spend over £800 on clothes though!!
    Muppet!!

Leave a comment:

• Masher
    replied
    Didn't they reclaim land from the sea in Southampton. I always felt they should have been doing the exact opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Jawz .
    replied
    Yeah I lived there for 6 months, did a contract with BAT.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    Went to Southampton this weekend, as my Brothers wife has just had their first child, went out with friends on the Saturday evening to a very nice restaurant called the Olive Gardens I think....very very good. Then went shopping on Sunday, I didn't know the shopping centre here was so good, its very very big, clean and tidy, and the shop assistance's help you !!! This is something almost unheard of in London....managed to spend over £800 on clothes though!!
    How weird when I lived in Soton (about 7 years ago) it was a dump

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Were you shopping in Wales the weekend before?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X