• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Private Healthcare."

Collapse

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by LGDT
    We got a 30% discount on BUPA through my partner - who is a civil servant. I suspect that BUPA "discounts" are like double glazing discounts - available to anyone if they ask.

We were more than happy with BUPA cover but the we found was that as we moved into our late 30's the premiums began to rise much faster than inflation and regardless of our claims record - 2 minor ones in 10 years.

Given that we are both in good health and keep ourselves pretty fit we finally snapped when the premiums went over £100 pm.

So we looked around and used a broker to find us a deal. We've been with this bunch now for 5 years - Freedom Health. At age 44 and 46 we are now paying around £67 pm and getting pretty much the same cover as BUPA. This policy rises in line with inflation (CPI) and is not age-related.
    Thanks very much LGDT - very useful stuff.

Leave a comment:

• LGDT
    replied
    Bupa

We got a 30% discount on BUPA through my partner - who is a civil servant. I suspect that BUPA "discounts" are like double glazing discounts - available to anyone if they ask.

We were more than happy with BUPA cover but the we found was that as we moved into our late 30's the premiums began to rise much faster than inflation and regardless of our claims record - 2 minor ones in 10 years.

Given that we are both in good health and keep ourselves pretty fit we finally snapped when the premiums went over £100 pm.

So we looked around and used a broker to find us a deal. We've been with this bunch now for 5 years - Freedom Health. At age 44 and 46 we are now paying around £67 pm and getting pretty much the same cover as BUPA. This policy rises in line with inflation (CPI) and is not age-related.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne
    How old are you Xog (or is that too personal a question?)

I dont want you poping your clogs any time soon!
    I'm not sure that would be an ecumenical matter.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Not always that easy unfortunately. The old man died at 65 but he had smoked 60 a day for 40 years and I never ever saw him take any exercise. Grandfather died at 50 but I suspect being stabbed and smashed over the head with an iron bar didn't help.
    How old are you Xog (or is that too personal a question?)

I dont want you poping your clogs any time soon!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You need to analyse your genetics AND your lifestyle. If your ancestors live to a ripe old age and you live a reasonably healthy lifestyle, odds are you'll never need it.
    Not always that easy unfortunately. The old man died at 65 but he had smoked 60 a day for 40 years and I never ever saw him take any exercise. Grandfather died at 50 but I suspect being stabbed and smashed over the head with an iron bar didn't help.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Is there a reductioin if you don't actually have any health checks? I would just like to pay a moderate amount so I can take take my clothes off at regular intervals and have a nurse poke and prod me and stick instruments up my orifices.

Leave a comment:

• jenever
    replied
    Is there a reductioin if you don't actually have any health checks? I would just like to pay a moderate amount so I can take take my clothes off at regular intervals and have a nurse poke and prod me and stick instruments up my orifices.
    I think you'll find that's a hundred quid an hour.

So I've heard.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    I have an Axa policy from my employers. This costs them about 45 quid a month - though I pay the tax on it.

I have been diagnosed with a chronic condition that will be with me for ever. Problem is that most schemes don't cover chronic conditions - only acute ones. However this generally means that cover is extended until diagnosis and the treatment regime is stabilised, continuous maintenance is not covered.

More expensive policys tend to cover more.

In Axas case they have paid about 20k for my treatment so far and still burn a fair bit on blood tests and follow ups whilst I am stabilised.

I can't fault them.

Prior to this I'd been from pillar to post for 5 years in the NHS and had only just managed to get a referral. I suspect Axa might be a bit miffed that they covered the preexisting after a medical though.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan
    "They'd be getting the money shoved up their arse - if I was paying that much I'd want at least one disease!"

What obesity and verbal diarohea?

No, I'd just ask your advice about them

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    "They'd be getting the money shoved up their arse - if I was paying that much I'd want at least one disease!"

What obesity and verbal diarohea?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    heh - I can imagine you SA taking this on, going through all the poking and proding then at the end the medical report will say:

'Overweight - low calorie diet and exercises recommended'

They'd be getting the money shoved up their arse - if I was paying that much I'd want at least one disease!

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeGregan
    replied
    My partner and I are both in BUPA. I've never made a claim. She recently needed surgery to correct a severely prolapsed disc.

The amount that they paid out means that even if neither of us make any further claims and remain members for the rest of our lives we've saved money.

The waiting list for having the same operation on the NHS was 18 months, during which time she would have been in severe pain and unable to work.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You need to analyse your genetics AND your lifestyle. If your ancestors live to a ripe old age and you live a reasonably healthy lifestyle, odds are you'll never need it.
    The health companies are obviously wise to this, so if the above doesn't apply then read the small print carefully.

Leave a comment:

• MrsGoof
    replied
    Originally posted by Phoenix
    For a small fee. I will staple your lips together....that will stop you eating...and no need for healthcare!
    her BF won't like that !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X