• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oasis - Rate or Slate"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny
    This is the General site and therefore any topic non contractor related (or not) can be discussed on it.

I did not ask what your favourite pop band was. I was commenting on the Brit awards and finding out what people thought about Oasis. That spiralled into a discussion about the music scene in general.

If you don't like the thread, don't comment on it.

Simple.
    Away 'n tulipe! I'll pass comment when I wish!

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Discussing music is loads better than the recent self centred topics that have been started here recently e.g. divorce, fat people's diet, and stomach stapling

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    Another thing, this forum is turning more and more into a school playground!!!
    There was a thread about that a few months ago

Leave a comment:

• Jawz
    replied
    They're the biggest load of wank I've ever heard.

If you want a decent band try Pink Floyd, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin!

Fecking Oasis!!! They'll never stand the test of time.

"What's your favorite pop band?"

"I really fancy this girl, should I ask her out?"

FFS!
    Deep purple? Are you insane? My brother does Karate and I'm going to get him to track you down and kick your head open. Deep purple..

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied

FFS!
    Yeh right!! as if!!!

My dad could have your dad.

Leave a comment:

• Jawz
    replied

FFS!
    Shutup poo poo head.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    It's here, just that the revolution is not coming in the traditional way. The revolution is not happening on the radio or in the record shops. It's happening on the Internet - on lots of obscure little music blogs where people discuss new music. In the 70s we had the fanzine to track what was cool and happening, now we have the blog. It's rumbling along under the surface just as healthily as it was in the 70s, you've just got to be brave enough to dive in, just as you had to be brave enough to blow all your pocket money to go to the gig advertised at the "Spit And Sawdust" on the back of The Organ in 1978. The music being made now is just as exciting as it always was, and just as challenging and new, and just as much out of the industry's grasp...

You're quite right CB, the internet is creating a much cheaper channel to market for young bands than going to the labels. Look at that band that made the Top 40 recently with no label support. That will only happen more and more over time.

And Zane Lowe does a good show on Radio 1 showcasing non mainstream musical talent (although more in the way of Steve Lamacq than John Peel)...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Jawz
    Great band, sure Liam may be a bit arrogant, but they are undeniabally one of the best bands to come out of the UK since the Beatles.

FFS!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Jawz
    Great band, sure Liam may be a bit arrogant, but they are undeniabally one of the best bands to come out of the UK since the Beatles.
    Have you ever considered working in snake oil sales?

Leave a comment:

• Jawz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    We are desperately in need of another musical revolution.
    It's here, just that the revolution is not coming in the traditional way. The revolution is not happening on the radio or in the record shops. It's happening on the Internet - on lots of obscure little music blogs where people discuss new music. In the 70s we had the fanzine to track what was cool and happening, now we have the blog. It's rumbling along under the surface just as healthily as it was in the 70s, you've just got to be brave enough to dive in, just as you had to be brave enough to blow all your pocket money to go to the gig advertised at the "Spit And Sawdust" on the back of The Organ in 1978. The music being made now is just as exciting as it always was, and just as challenging and new, and just as much out of the industry's grasp...

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    The real problem with popular chart music these days is that there is a distinct lack of musical talent and innovativeness represented in the charts. True real bands have emerged in the naughties but I can't say that they measure up to the earlier creatives in the 70s. Mainly because music has become too business focussed these days and so many bands are dictated to about what they need to produce to ensure mass sales with the big record companies. This lies at the very heart of the problem for me.
    Now here I agree with you 100%. I haven't bought any music on a major label for a long time, and I'm unlikely to start now. This brings us back full circle in a way with what I said at the beginning of the thread. There is a lot of great innovative music out there, you're just not likely to see it on the Brits, hear it on the radio (since John Peel has died anyway), or get it on a major label. The original links I put up were deliberately obscure and challenging in order for me to demonstrate that fact. None of those bands make music that sounds much like anything else that has come before them, none of them are on major labels, and all of them are doing it for the love of the art rather than the $$$.

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    Isn't a question of age?

We think the groups of our teens are the best. For me, Led Zep, Floyd, AC/DC, U2 etc.

Then we look for something different. It is human nature.

As the decades have passed it has been for me, The Clash, Suzzie and the Banshees, The Prodigy, Nirvana, The White Stripes, Gorillaz and many more. Recently I have enjoyed something as different as Goldfrapp because she/they have the ability to stand out. Oasis were the opposite for me, just another group offering nothing new or different.

However, I still feel that the are practically no groups who can produce the variety and depth of the likes of Led Zep or Floyd. Robert Plant has been productve throughout the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s and is still worth listening too with his recent offering of the Mighty Rearranger.

We are desperately in need of another musical revolution.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Musical talent is everything.
    And that is the heart of our disagreement. I don't believe that musical talent is everything. I think the Sex Pistols and The Ramones are great bands, but neither of them contained great musicians. I also love Pink Floyd, and they are very innovative - and a perfect case in point. The least gifted musician out of all of them is Roger Waters (he can barely sing, and his bass playing is mediocre) yet he is considered the heart of the band.

If talent was everything then everyone who likes music with guitars would worship Yngwie Malmsteen since on a pure technical level he is probably the greatest living guitar playing virtuoso. Yet, not many people do, mostly because his music is not terribly innovative and doesn't have much soul.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    You need to get out more.
    You need to learn not to insult people who are trying to civilly answer you questions...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X