• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anybody ever listed NOTEPAD as a skill on their CV?"

Collapse

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
    I have themacs on my thCV cos I am thwell-hard. It make me thwell-hard just thinking about it.
    Richard Stallman would be proud of you

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    I have themacs on my thCV cos I am thwell-hard. It make me thwell-hard just thinking about it.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    I did till I discovered Vi!

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Sounds like a good approach, until .NET becomes last years thing. Do you have the underlying knowledge to transfer to another market segment?
    If he can blag 10k/m out of M$ Windoze crap then he has the required skills

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    solid gold ones ???

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    I meant £10K per week.
    And I meant Krugerrands

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    I'll stick with my MVS stuff and bill 15k a month and expenses, kerrr....fecking....ching!
    I meant £10K per week.

KERRRRRRRR ****KKKKKINNNNGGGGGGGG CHHHHHHHHINNNNGGGGGG!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Sounds like a load of spazzy nonesense to me. I'll stick to knowing nothing, dragging and dropping the odd thing in BizTalk and billing £10K a month. Kerrrr ching!
    I'll stick with my MVS stuff and bill 15k a month and expenses, kerrr....fecking....ching!

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Sounds like a load of spazzy nonesense to me. I'll stick to knowing nothing, dragging and dropping the odd thing in BizTalk and billing £10K a month. Kerrrr ching!
    Sounds like a good approach, until .NET becomes last years thing. Do you have the underlying knowledge to transfer to another market segment? There are many tales of woe regarding contractors whose skills are suddenly no longer in demand. Those that have a broad range of skills have no problem, those that don't, well...

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    Amen to that!

As a former MVS sysprog (last worked as such in 1996), I know full-well that you had to know a shed load of stuff and really understand it.

No Googling back then boys! No way of winging it with an O'Reilly Nutshell book on your lap.

You had to know S/3x0 Assembler, JCL, all the odd bits of syntax for parmlib and JES init, as well as the run-of-the mill COBOL, PL/I. REXX, CLIST etc.

Not to mention VSAM, VTAM, NCP, CICS, DB2, IMS and a ton of other acronyms, whos technical details would blow the minds of the .NETers around here.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by wc2
    Good old vi (NOT)

Whenever I needed to edit something I used the following method

FTP
    Notepad
    FTP
    At one client site they told me a contractor hired some months previously for Unix work used to do exactly that, and the only "editor" he could or would use was Microsoft Word. He'd go through the whole rigmarole over and over again, even for making miniscule changes to get scripts to compile.

Needless to say they kicked him out after a couple of days ..

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    But we don't need to put any of this stuff on our CVs as we're expected to know it. Mainframers are professionals
    Amen to that!

As a former MVS sysprog (last worked as such in 1996), I know full-well that you had to know a shed load of stuff and really understand it.

No Googling back then boys! No way of winging it with an O'Reilly Nutshell book on your lap.

You had to know S/3x0 Assembler, JCL, all the odd bits of syntax for parmlib and JES init, as well as the run-of-the mill COBOL, PL/I. REXX, CLIST etc.

Not to mention VSAM, VTAM, NCP, CICS, DB2, IMS and a ton of other acronyms, whos technical details would blow the minds of the .NETers around here.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    I used to work with a guy who had been in IT so long that when he first started he didn't even have a PC, code was written by hand then passed to engineers who made the cards to feed in to the machine. They would then give you the results back.
    Passed to punch girls.

PS I have SPFLite open on my desktop right now. "X ALL;F ALL ...." can't be beaten.
    Last edited by expat; 14 February 2007, 14:32.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    real men use vi editor
    notepad is for poofs

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Anyone with any sense would use notepad in preference to those, more trouble than they are worth. I would call it hard-coding because I am HARD. Oo you lookin at?

Shut up space-cadet. Ah! the old Elliot 405. Turn computer on, 40 minutes feeding the operating system in on tape then 20 minutes feeding the ALGOL compiler in on tape. We were real men in those days.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 14 February 2007, 12:49.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X