• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Climate Change / Global Warming : What Do You Think?"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Who's gonna tell North Korea to cut their Carbon emissions?

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Imh0

[QUOTE=andy]
    Originally posted by Lucy

USA is the biggest polluter in the world today and if I am not wrong since the last 50 years. Do your maths.

China is second place since the last 7-8 years only

http://www.carbonplanet.com/home/country_emissions.php

I think that to nominate countries for their carbon emissions may be a bit oversimplified

The reason why carbon emissions in China have increased is owing to increased industrial output, which is primarily due to western demand for consumer goods.

In a very simplified scenario, if UK cuts its carbon emissions to zero, can we really argue that UK is carbon neutral if we are resposible for 20% of demand from China? Likewise can you argue that China is responsible for 20% of the worlds carbon emissions if the demand for the goods responsible for the emissions is from the UK?

(Figures are purely hypothetical)

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    A good question.

http://www.ghgonline.org/otherco.htm

Carbon monoxide (CO) is only a very weak direct greenhouse gas, but has important indirect effects on global warming. Carbon monoxide reacts with hydroxyl (OH) radicals in the atmosphere, reducing their abundance. As OH radicals help to reduce the lifetimes of strong greenhouse gases, like methane, carbon monoxide indirectly increases the global warming potential of these gases.

If you even believe that Carbon exists. I think it is a tax ploy.
    Let's convert all the excess carbon into nanotubes and fill them with "bucky balls", they're small!!!

Better still, let's convert all the excess Carbon Dioxide into Solid Carbon and then make it into big feck off diamonds for Valentines day!!!

Solved!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A good question.

http://www.ghgonline.org/otherco.htm

Carbon monoxide (CO) is only a very weak direct greenhouse gas, but has important indirect effects on global warming. Carbon monoxide reacts with hydroxyl (OH) radicals in the atmosphere, reducing their abundance. As OH radicals help to reduce the lifetimes of strong greenhouse gases, like methane, carbon monoxide indirectly increases the global warming potential of these gases.

If you even believe that Carbon exists. I think it is a tax ploy.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    A good point. Whether the global average is rising due to man or nature or both, one thing is certain. A lot of people will become very rich exploiting the frenzy around CO2 emissions, Carbon trading and Carbon offsetting.

I can feel a plan C (for Carbon) coming on....
    Which of the following is a "Greenhouse Gas"?

a) Carbon Monoxide
    b) Carbon Dioxide

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Lucy]
    Originally posted by andy

You need to back up your statement with some facts.
    USA is the biggest polluter in the world today and if I am not wrong since the last 50 years. Do your maths.

China is second place since the last 7-8 years only

http://www.carbonplanet.com/home/country_emissions.php

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    A good point. Whether the global average is rising due to man or nature or both, one thing is certain. A lot of people will become very rich exploiting the frenzy around CO2 emissions, Carbon trading and Carbon offsetting.

I can feel a plan C (for Carbon) coming on....

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Imho

I dont really think tax grabs are the primary reason for the fastidious adherence to the "global warming is primarily manmade" theory.

As has been discussed here there is much room for debate as to the cause of "accellerated" warming and IMHO there is as much argument that is is man made as there is to state that is due to partially understood climatological or solar cycles or occurences.

My laymens opinion leads me to believe that the next(or potential) market in Carbon Emissions is very lucrative but it can only really be adopted globally if the theory of global warming becomes universally acceptable(ie Theory becomes accepted as fact).

The global emissions trading framework ie EU ETS,Kyoto Agreement are already in place and the big players are already in place to make trillions from it and with maturity may become a commodity along with oil,gold etc

If industrial activity is not seen to be the primary cause of global warming this whole financial system is pretty much redundant.

In my short life with limited exposure I have always subscribed to one truth; "If nothing makes sense, establish what makes sense financiallly and the logic will become apprent"

Sunny "Should I buy Carbon Shares" San

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I don't want to hear about any of you guys flying off on holiday, or jetting to the ski slopes either. And any talk of driving, cars, travel, transport is a definite no no.

No, please, just sit at home with the heating off, lights off shivering waiting for the next ice age to offset your "sins".

Enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Looking at the graphs looks to me like we've "cleverly" avoided sinking into a new ice age.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    [QUOTE=andy]
    Originally posted by Churchill
    If this really is the case, and humans are responsible, why isn't someone sorting out India, Russia and the fecking Chinese instead of taxing us!
    QUOTE]

Because its unfair to deny the opportunity to develope to the third world countries. Developed countries mainly USA have already pumped so much co2 in the atmosphere and ****ed the whole world.
    Only option is to encourage them to adopt clean technologies

You need to back up your statement with some facts.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    If this really is the case, and humans are responsible, why isn't someone sorting out India, Russia and the fecking Chinese instead of taxing us!
    Because its unfair to deny the opportunity to develope to the third world countries. Developed countries mainly USA have already pumped so much co2 in the atmosphere and ****ed the whole world.
    If the world really is fooked, then there's no problem, let's just make it a little more fooked...

Personally, I blame the cows. Oh, and Marsh Gas. And Volcanos.

Actually while where on the subject. What's your stance on Catalytic Converters fitted to cars?

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    [QUOTE=Churchill]If this really is the case, and humans are responsible, why isn't someone sorting out India, Russia and the fecking Chinese instead of taxing us!
    QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Churchill - In "Thank y'all fur listenin'" mode!
    Because they are too busy setting themselves up to be the most powerful, richest, foreward-thinking nations on Earth, whilst we go back to cave dwelling.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru

He he. The bar room philosopher, after in-depth research, mostly conducted with his fellow drunks propping up the bar, has arrived at an earth-shattering conclusion. Marvel at the level of intellect, gasp at the logical brilliance of the man.

Cretin.

Churchill - In "Thank y'all fur listenin'" mode!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X