• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Normal Response Level ?"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Due to not having really worked since November due to patent problems, litigation and major software companies acting like children, I thought I had better get off my bottom and do something. Although I'm still getting paid a 4 figure retainer and expenses each month, I am bored tulipless. Therefore, I reactivated my Jobserve and Gulp accounts and started searching and applying.

First up was a position in Brussesl of which the list of software wants was exactly my arena. Of goes the CV and I sit back...and back...and back. Eventually a mail comes back to me asking my rate, availablity and do I have problems working for this certain client. I answer and wait...and wait...and wait. In the meantime the position is advertised again with a start date in 2 days time. The agency was also advertising a lot of other positions, all of which are still being advertised with start dates of over a week ago. Either full of hot air or due to being so slow are having some serious problems.

Next up was a British agency but with offices based here who had something rather good locally. Once again I had the exact skill set. For everything that happened just look at the previous agency. Tried them also for one in Switzerland and another in Germany. Basically no response

There was a nice 3 month going in the UK but there was only a 4 line description which basically said nothing so I rang the guy up for more details. He told that was all he was given and the rate was....He said he had 2 guys lined up for it already and it basically came down to the fact that I told him that the job is not what he is advertising for and that if it was then the guys he's got lined up can't be what they say they are for that price. Phone down.

4 German agencies have contacted me regarding a position which I do not have the skills for yet have secured an interview and the customer actually wants me anyway. One of these agencies was the British one which I told in no particular terms to not bother.

That weird Alchemy thing from Jobserver just sends me positions which have nothing to do with my skill set at all and all British agencies just send me jobs which also have nothing to do with my skill set. Do they read the bloody things or what?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I don't respond, but yet, I get contracts. I haven't a clue how that works, otherwise I'd tell you all.
    I've got a month left on this contract and I haven't put my updated CV out there yet, but I've already got 3 -4 people asking me when I'm available and can they interest me in...

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    But I already look ten years younger
    Threaded just travels to work on his bicycle at relativistic speeds and then is ten years younger compared to the ubiquitous stationary observer.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    For a yrs income you can look ten years younger

http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/surgery.htm

Surgical Procedures for Men

Facial Surgery
    Rhinoplasty
    Face, Neck & Brow Lift
    Ear Correction
    Lip Reduction
    Eyebag Removal
    Cheek & Chin Implants
    Removal of Moles
    Contour Threadlift

Fat Removal
    Tummy Tuck
    Arm & Thigh Lifts
    Buttock Implants
    Calf Implants
    Body Sculpting
    Obesity Surgery
    Liposoft

Obesity Surgery
    Gastric Balloon
    Lapband and other Obesity Surgery
    Bodyplan Programme

Money well spent.

But I already look ten years younger

Leave a comment:

• Back In Business
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes
    Or am I incorrectly assuming that companies that hire contractors are in some way organised and plan at least a month in advance?
    Incorrect. From my experience most companies decide to get a contractor in once they've bolloxed something up completely. Permies tend to achieve this at any time of the year.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    For a yrs income you can look ten years younger

http://www.transforminglives.co.uk/surgery.htm

Surgical Procedures for Men

Facial Surgery
    Rhinoplasty
    Face, Neck & Brow Lift
    Ear Correction
    Lip Reduction
    Eyebag Removal
    Cheek & Chin Implants
    Removal of Moles
    Contour Threadlift

Fat Removal
    Tummy Tuck
    Arm & Thigh Lifts
    Buttock Implants
    Calf Implants
    Body Sculpting
    Obesity Surgery
    Liposoft

Obesity Surgery
    Gastric Balloon
    Lapband and other Obesity Surgery
    Bodyplan Programme

Money well spent.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    how old are you then ?
    51 - though naturally I look much younger

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    I don't respond, but yet, I get contracts. I haven't a clue how that works, otherwise I'd tell you all.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by shoes
    April is start of financial year for most I guess but wouldn't that make the preceeding months (feb/mar) their recruitment time? Or am I incorrectly assuming that companies that hire contractors are in some way organised and plan at least a month in advance?
    The budgets for new projects often don't get decided before EOY.

Leave a comment:

• shoes
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    February/March is pre-budget time for most companies. It's always the slowest time of the year.
    April is start of financial year for most I guess but wouldn't that make the preceeding months (feb/mar) their recruitment time? Or am I incorrectly assuming that companies that hire contractors are in some way organised and plan at least a month in advance?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    What are your skills ? I had this a few years back when what I knew just became routine work and meant any job advertised was swamped with applications.
    You might need to check the job boards twice a day and make sure a carefully targetted CV and letter means you are 100% match for the job. Follow up with a call to the agent within an hour.
    In addition, register CV on a few boards, in a bid to get a few more responses in.

Leave a comment:

• foritisme
    replied
    I don't put my age on the CV - maybe from that they guess I'm the wrong side of 40.

Still waiting for life to start.....maybe it's at 50 ?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by hattra
    I was very much the same - then one day it stopped dead. I don't suppose it could be anything to do with my age, could it?

how old are you then ?

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by n5gooner
    I tend to get a responce on 75% of the jobs I apply for of these 75% I get about a 60% return for interview requests, I have been offered a job in about 90% of all interviews I go to....
    I was very much the same - then one day it stopped dead. I don't suppose it could be anything to do with my age, could it?

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I tend to get a responce on 75% of the jobs I apply for of these 75% I get about a 60% return for interview requests, I have been offered a job in about 90% of all interviews I go to....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X