• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Choosing an offer

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Choosing an offer"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthRoute55
    Don't have anyone to subtitute for me - and how do people process payment for subtitutes?
    1 - Find a skilled contact
    2 - Agree a rate with said contact
    3 - Send contact in your place to client site (assuming an unfettered right of substitution)
    4 - invoice client as normal
    5 - Pay contact once contact invoices you.

[RW in helpful mode]

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by SouthRoute55
    what about Karma and all that. If I do anything unfair to anyone it always always always comes back and bites me in ar$e. Don't understand how scumbags agents get away with it . Hence I always try to do the right thing by everyone around me.

A friend to all is a friend to no-one

Leave a comment:

• SouthRoute55
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    Make hay while the sun shines

imho

what about Karma and all that. If I do anything unfair to anyone it always always always comes back and bites me in ar$e. Don't understand how scumbags agents get away with it . Hence I always try to do the right thing by everyone around me.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Make hay while the sun shines

imho

Leave a comment:

• SouthRoute55
    replied
    Originally posted by kramer
    you could always start contract a and then invoke your substitution clause if Contract C comes along ...

Don't have anyone to subtitute for me - and how do people process payment for subtitutes?

Originally posted by lukemg
    I wouldn't turn down 2 offers for a maybe
    I agree.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Lots can go wrong before a contract starts, they get pulled due to budgets, change of direction, delayed etc. A contract on the table is worth more.
    I would tell C that you favour working for them but have offers starting next week which require a decision in the next day.
    That is being honest and any hiring manager will understand you have to look out for yourself.
    If C can't provide the commitment, say you hope you can work together in the future and play hardball over the rate with the other 2 and take a 3-monther with the one you prefer. 2 months in contact C again (looks like they will be ready by then ) and see if they are still interested.
    I wouldn't turn down 2 offers for a maybe.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    you could always start contract a and then invoke your substitution clause if Contract C comes along ...

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    It only a contract, it’s not like you are considering getting married.

Tell C to put a firm offer plus start date on the table by the end of the day or forget it. Assume they wont, so do a strict cost / benefit on A & B.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I'm in an irritable mood today SouthRoute, so I'm getting annoyed with posters asking questions which they should really work out for themselves. You just happen to be in my line of fire.

But look on the bright side - at least you're not a permie asking what they need to do to go contracting...

Leave a comment:

• SouthRoute55
    replied
    Thanks all - BlasterBate, I agree I don't really want to piss off company A&B as they are big in the finance world.

Ratewhore- this is a contractor forum, and I am asking a contracting related question, but I understand that some of the members here like to make others feel bad in order for them to feel good about themselves -I supposed form your name your deciding factor is rate.

Anyway the situation is although comp C is the best in my eyes, the facts are:
    1- I have no firm offer on the table from C yet
    2- If I have an offer it will take them a while to process my start (2-4 weeks)

I think the right thing to do is to push them to give me a firm offer if they think they want me (only I risk coming across as too pushy ) but if they did offer me the role I’d have to take a few weeks on the bench not getting paid that’s why I was considering taking the contract with either A&B – but thinking about it this is not the honourable thing to do- so best if I delay the starting A&B till I know what’s going on with C!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Put pressure on Company C. Yes you need to look after number one, but if you would like to work for this company again (A or B) then its advisable not to p*** off after two weeks. They will be seriously pee'd off; In the short-term they will probably not consider you, that is unless it is a different PM and you keep quiet about your previous short assignment.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I tend to apply the principle 'know your own mind'. If you need to ask an online forum which contract should you take then you should really be asking if you are cut out to be a contractor...

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    you got to put yourself first, take the offer with the best of A&B then if an offer comes along from C you are in a better position to negotiate rate, then you end your contract in a professional way (i.e. give the proper notice and stick to contract clauses)

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Tell company C that either they have to make an offer now, or you are going to A or B. If they want you, they'll take you. They have already seen you.

However, don't go to either A or B and then give notice immediately. That won't make you look very good and you'll have burned your bridges for the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X