• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Road Accident

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Road Accident"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    So are you saying beardy types are the most dangerous then?

I knew it. Self-righteous "I'm perfectly entitled to poodle along this bendy road at 35 mph with no overtaking places if I want, there's no law against it, oh look at that view I'll slow down a bit more..."

Set fire to their beards I say!

Does anyone remember this food critic (sometimes appears on Gordon Ramsay’s F word) you made the comment “I’ve long suspected that fat people were more dangerous on the road while driving”)

He continued to prove this, using sacks of potatoes, and showed how braking distances were effected thereby indeed taking out the young thing in pigtails with no more road since than bug bunny. In fact extra breaking distance was substantial.

What’s the point?

Fat people should be made to pay more road tax. I think that was the point…

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    wearing a hat
    That's the significant point - anyone wearing a hat in a car is not to be trusted - they haven't yet come to terms with the fact that they are IN A CAR, and consequently have never learned how to drive one.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Wet wet wet...What women do for love....

Police said Ms Nowak drove from her home in Houston to Orlando international airport - wearing nappies so she would not have to stop to urinate - to confront Colleen Shipman.
    Love is sky high

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    So are you saying beardy types are the most dangerous then?

I knew it. Self-righteous "I'm perfectly entitled to poodle along this bendy road at 35 mph with no overtaking places if I want, there's no law against it, oh look at that view I'll slow down a bit more..."

Set fire to their beards I say!

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Biggest fright in recent years happened as follows. Turned right after waiting for light at front of traffic-light controlled junction. There were two turning lanes and the two lanes they turned into merged into one a few hundred yards later. Once in the new road, with a trailer-less truck-tractor (terminology?) alongside me and nothing ahead, I decide that the easiest way to resolve things is to put my foot down. I figure my 140bhp Honda accelerating from low speed (from being stopped at lights) will easily get ahead before the lanes merge. Turns out a truck without a trailer can accelerate quite a lot. I only just squeezed in front of him, at which point he saw me and did emergency braking. (Possibly also some swearing and gestures.)

Normally I'm very unaggressive and if it had been a car I would invariably have let them ahead - it was only wrong assumption about acceleration characteristics/preferences of truck that lead to near-death.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Seriously though, you know all this stuff about actuaries working on the statistics to give out the risks for insurance companies? Well there's this deep secret that's not mentioned too often, and that is your age, experience and training count for very little compared to the amount of facial hair of the drivers involved and whether or not one of the vehicles involved has an Icthus sticker on it. Those things alone at least double the cost of a claim.

I tried also to look at whether women wearing purple were significant, but no-one had bothered to note that down on the incident reports. Typical! Would seem an obvious thing to make a note of don't you think.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Volvo driven by a man with full face beard, moustache, wearing a hat, smoking a pipe and the car having an Icthus sticker on the boot lid.

That'll be ZG in his daytime camoflage

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    Oiy !! I got a volve estate
    er.. that'll be point proven then

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    The slowest cars that hold everyone up are estates. The worst of all are Volvo estates. Their drivers must take an twat examination before being allowed to drive one.

Oiy !! I got a volve estate

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Volvo driven by a man with full face beard, moustache, wearing a hat, smoking a pipe and the car having an Icthus sticker on the boot lid waiting to pull out
    The slowest cars that hold everyone up are estates. The worst of all are Volvo estates. Their drivers must take an twat examination before being allowed to drive one.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    To call something an accident means to have judged the incident.
    That was my point!

FOAD

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet
    That's why the police prefer to call them incidents instead of accidents.
    No, it is because they are better at English than you. To call something an accident means to have judged the incident.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    A number of the above are not accidents are they!
    Indeed! If it could have been avoided then its a collision due to negligence or dangerous driving.

That's why the police prefer to call them incidents instead of accidents.

It is perfectly feasible to be involved in an incident which you yourself could not have avoided, there a plenty of drunk, tired, reckless drivers out there. The trick is to be able to leave yourself enough room to react in the event of something happening.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy
    Agreed, is the only way to drive now.

I 'stereotype' cars/drivers to help judge how good a driver they are in order to try and predict their behaviour.

Crude, I know, but does work to an extent.

Worst combo - an old person in a Volvo!
    Actually, and this is statistically proven, the worst combo is to be on a motorbike wearing all the safety kit, luminous vest, keeping to the speed limit etc.. Have right of way at a T junction and a Volvo driven by a man with full face beard, moustache, wearing a hat, smoking a pipe and the car having an Icthus sticker on the boot lid waiting to pull out.

If you are the bike rider you might as well drop it, and start running 'cause that tw4t will drive the wrong way down the road to try and get you. It is actually one of the main ways that plod organ donors get it.

All really from the statistics by the by. The amount of facial hair and the Icthus sticker are the most significant items.

threaded in "TRRL/Loughborough Uni" mode

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    Some of the incidents here sound like mad nuttiness/poor judgement. You deserve what you get. Only one other person here seems to practice defensive driving:

1) Assume every other driver is a twat
    2) Assume if something can go wrong it will

Been driving for 21 years now without a single accident - and I used to do some serious mileage in the past. And that doesn't mean not driving fast either - sometimes that's the way to get out out of trouble.
    Agreed, is the only way to drive now.

I 'stereotype' cars/drivers to help judge how good a driver they are in order to try and predict their behaviour.

Crude, I know, but does work to an extent.

Worst combo - an old person in a Volvo!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X