• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "We Are Great Britain..."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    I've been pretty impressed with ours, especially as politically they are widely regarded as entrenched (possibly corrupt) Labour - an area it's always going to be Labour regardless of what they do. Shows there is a difference between the elected councillors, and the people who actually get stuff done

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    It's emergency COVID money councils seem to have a lot of discretion. Remember last half term I think it was when government refused requests to provide FSM, and loads of restaurants etc were offering them? Our council offered it county-wide. No idea how they have cash for it!
    My council only offer stuff when churches, local charities and local small businesses frequently join together and shame them into it.

Local people in my area set up the Covid volunteers within a day, started leafleting people the next day and then immediately started helping people. It took the council 2.5 weeks...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The cash isn't for education and FSM though it is for local businesses, public health including enforcement, social support and financial support of their low paid population.
    It's emergency COVID money councils seem to have a lot of discretion. Remember last half term I think it was when government refused requests to provide FSM, and loads of restaurants etc were offering them? Our council offered it county-wide. No idea how they have cash for it!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Councils have received a lot of extra cash. What is interesting now we follow this stuff as business owners, is how markedly differently councils are acting. Some are defunding everything they can, others are quite the opposite. Ours is actively working to give the cash to those who need it.
    The cash isn't for education and FSM though it is for local businesses, public health including enforcement, social support and financial support of their low paid population.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Councils have received a lot of extra cash. What is interesting now we follow this stuff as business owners, is how markedly differently councils are acting. Some are defunding everything they can, others are quite the opposite. Ours is actively working to give the cash to those who need it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Taxxer
    Don't be rude about the man who saved the world.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    They're using this easily solved display of government ineptness to distract us from their bigger failings. All the talking heads will be on about this instead of other news being burried.
    They have now told councils to feed them. Councils don't have the money.

BTW the Brexit forum is still open so you can talk about the mess that is Scottish fishing and NI food issues.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    They're using this easily solved display of government ineptness to distract us from their bigger failings. All the talking heads will be on about this instead of other news being burried.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I disagree they all look bad but anyway...

Free school meals: Outcry over move not to supply at half term - BBC News

Here's our new future U-turn. I really don't get why they keep flogging this dead horse. It's proved incredibly unpopular and while I get the argument the government makes, the cost is absolutely minimal. Why not just say they are continuing it until we start to reduce restrictions and get the very cheap public applause.
    They surely have advisors telling them all this...
    Their advisors are all "yes men" and "yes women". One of Carrie's friends' needs to whisper in her ear...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    No this Tory cabinet look bad.

They look bad on every show they go on. Even Dan Walker, blond himbo of BBC Breakfast, makes them look bad.
    I disagree they all look bad but anyway...

Free school meals: Outcry over move not to supply at half term - BBC News

Here's our new future U-turn. I really don't get why they keep flogging this dead horse. It's proved incredibly unpopular and while I get the argument the government makes, the cost is absolutely minimal. Why not just say they are continuing it until we start to reduce restrictions and get the very cheap public applause.
    They surely have advisors telling them all this...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I was trying to remember what Gordon Brown's middle name was

I would love to go on GMB if I were a slimy politician. No matter how bad and sleazy I was, I'd come out looking good compared to the host.
    No this Tory cabinet look bad.

They look bad on every show they go on. Even Dan Walker, blond himbo of BBC Breakfast, makes them look bad.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Taxxer

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Macavity.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Good Morning Britain (Piers Morgan?)

I would love to go on GMB if I were a slimy politician. No matter how bad and sleazy I was, I'd come out looking good compared to the host.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Good Morning Britain (Piers Morgan?)
    And his sidekick butted in a few times...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X