• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: WInter tyres

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "WInter tyres"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Why is it more dangerous having a modern Skylane built last decade as opposed to an earlier '50s 182?
    And there is the AN2; pretty much fail safe and glides wonderfly...

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Sounds like you made a decision based on risk/cost/reward, no?

Gorgeous aircraft btw - just a shame the wings are in the wrong place #CherokeeCrew4Lyfe
    I like looking down at whatever I will inevitably crash into.

Have a lovely evening Dan.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Sounds like you made a decision based on risk/cost/reward, no?

Gorgeous aircraft btw - just a shame the wings are in the wrong place #CherokeeCrew4Lyfe

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    It's not more dangerous than that - it's more dangerous than other options. For example, you could have a Cirrus with its ballistic parachute and top spec avionics. Or a twin, like a DA62.

Why don't you?

In fact, why do you fly at all? I presume it's a hobby? A pretty dangerous one, all-round (Last I checked GA falls somewhere between motorcycling and driving). How can you bear taking such unnecessary risk?

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Why is it more dangerous having a modern Skylane built last decade as opposed to an earlier '50s 182?
    It's not more dangerous than that - it's more dangerous than other options. For example, you could have a Cirrus with its ballistic parachute and top spec avionics. Or a twin, like a DA62.

Why don't you?

In fact, why do you fly at all? I presume it's a hobby? A pretty dangerous one, all-round (Last I checked GA falls somewhere between motorcycling and driving). How can you bear taking such unnecessary risk?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Even knowing it's more dangerous than other options? Like, what, you made a value judgement based on risk/cost/reward? Wow, how incredibly selfish. It doesn't sound like you're thinking of the children at all here.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I exercise that choice.
    Even knowing it's more dangerous than other options? Like, what, you made a value judgement based on risk/cost/reward? Wow, how incredibly selfish. It doesn't sound like you're thinking of the children at all here.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Why? You have a choice? You don't have to fly old aircraft - new aircraft are safer, more reliable and have better safety systems. Why do you choose not to?
    I exercise that choice. The 182 Skylane's origins date back to 56. I have a much more recent version.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 29 December 2020, 19:22. Reason: 58 to 56

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I think a better comparison you could make would be wings on planes to tyres on cars in this application.
    Why? You have a choice? You don't have to fly old aircraft - new aircraft are safer, more reliable and have better safety systems. Why do you choose not to?

Going back to your point, they'll have better aerodynamics, better designs, probably better stall characteristics etc. Again, why are you choosing to not use that technology?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Sounds very dangerous - why are you happy to fly in such an old aircraft with such old technology? Should you not be looking for the newest possible, with as much safety equipment as possible? I presume you always fly with a parachute, at least?

What's the engine tech in it? I presume it's FADEC? I mean, you can't be relying on carbs surely? What if you crash into a school? Selfish selfish selfish.
    I think a better comparison you could make would be wings on planes to tyres on cars in this example.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 29 December 2020, 19:15. Reason: wo5rds

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    I am good thanks.

Happy to meet you to compare the performance of our planes. The design of mine dates back to 1958, but oddly mine which was built more recently has a glass cockpit. Not sure why they bothered to update the technology.

BTW Clearedforlanding stems from when nearly I trimmed the tree before Runway 27 at Beccles doing circuits. Rainer gave me the nickname.
    Sounds very dangerous - why are you happy to fly in such an old aircraft with such old technology? Should you not be looking for the newest possible, with as much safety equipment as possible? I presume you always fly with a parachute, at least?

What's the engine tech in it? I presume it's FADEC and multi engine? I mean, you can't be relying on a single-engine and carbs surely? What if you crash into a school? Selfish selfish selfish.
    Last edited by vwdan; 29 December 2020, 19:13.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Given it was a single, minor, walking-speed accident in ~2008, and since then I've at times put 30,000+ a year on cars without a repeat of it I'd say I'm pretty happy with the outcomes.

Maybe because I'm the type of person to accept fault and alter my approach, rather than blame equipment and buy myself out of it.

Your username makes me laugh - perhaps you could come flying with me in my 1970's technology plane?
    I am good thanks.

Happy to meet you to compare the performance of our planes. The design of mine dates back to 1958, but oddly mine which was built more recently has a glass cockpit. Not sure why they bothered to update the technology.

BTW Clearedforlanding stems from when nearly I trimmed the tree before Runway 27 at Beccles doing circuits. Rainer gave me the nickname.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Something along the lines of you don't learn from accidents.
    Given it was a single, minor, walking-speed accident in ~2008, and since then I've at times put 30,000+ a year on cars without a repeat of it I'd say I'm pretty happy with the outcomes.

Maybe because I'm the type of person to accept fault and alter my approach, rather than blame equipment and buy myself out of it.

Your username makes me laugh - perhaps you could come flying with me in my 1970's technology plane? Unfortunately, I can't afford a brand new Cirrus with its parachute system, anti collision system and onboard weather map, so apparently I'm now akin to a murderer! OMG, won't somebody think of the children!
    Last edited by vwdan; 29 December 2020, 18:48.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    What was your second point?
    Something along the lines of you don't learn from accidents.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    So you didn't check the tyres on a rental vehicle when taking possession of it? OK.

I can assure you that winter tyres would have improved the grip of a motor vehicle on ice. You don't seem to have addressed the second point.
    Oh come on, now you're being ridiculous. Yes, I would have checked they were legal - no I didn't confirm the make and model, and if I did I doubt I'd recall given it was well over a decade ago.

Improved doesn't mean it would have prevented the accident.

What was your second point?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X