• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cater Allen New Website"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    + fraction lending.

Ladymuck, they conjure money out of thin air.

I never understood why Cater Allen were so popular amongst contractors. I believe they had a status moment in the 90s, but what is their value preposition now?
    Cheap (free) business accounting perhaps? Also when they screw up they are very polite about admiting they have.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    WTAS.

I think I've still got a Fleming's chequebook somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    I was with Fleming Private Bank until CA bought them out, used to quite like the old cheques!
    This ^

They were great when they were Robert Fleming & Co Private Bank.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

I never understood why Cater Allen were so popular amongst contractors. I believe they had a status moment in the 90s, but what is their value preposition now?
    I was with Fleming Private Bank until CA bought them out, used to quite like the old cheques!

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by Sterling View Post
    I have retired so I will not need my Cater Allen account for long. The old logon system worked very well. Now, their online banking is almost unusable because the text message with the OTC is received sometime after the web page times out.
    As is the case with most websites using OTC especially when abroad texts can arrive hours later or never

Leave a comment:

• Sterling
    replied
    I have retired so I will not need my Cater Allen account for long. The old logon system worked very well. Now, their online banking is almost unusable because the text message with the OTC is received sometime after the web page times out.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    + fraction lending.

I think it is because of SJD accountants (don't know if other accountants also do/did this). When setting up the Ltd company they offered a free account with Cater Allen, with enough other stuff to take care off during the start of your first Ltd contract this was an easy (and as said free) option to get a business account.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Because the customer loans them their money (currently at 0% interest), which they reinvest and make a profit on.
    + fraction lending.

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    I thought everyone had been updated to the new "improved" system. Clunky and slow.
    OTP when logging in, and when making a payment.
    Putting in the whole of your password on logging in, together with digits from your PAC. And then when making a payment, as well as OTP, having to enter all of the PAC.
    I'm no expert, but with all of the PAC and all of the password input, it does seem to open up a security weakness?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    My Cater Allen online banking hasn't changed at all recently, apart from an extra detestable OTP when I log in.

Have they rolled the new system out to only a selected random set of guinea pig customers, and it is a horror I have yet to encounter?

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Their new paper statements are also 10 steps back. Not clear at all.
    I got my first paper statement in the new format last week, not exactly a great leap forward.

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    Because the customer loans them their money (currently at 0% interest), which they reinvest and make a profit on.
    Spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    You can't afford £6.50 a month fee?

Why do people expect banking to be free all the time? It's a service at the end of the day. It has a cost to deliver.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by velcro View Post
    Straightforward bank, easy to use website, no fees. Cater Allen used to be decent but now just painful... Someone said Starling are pretty good?
    You can't afford £6.50 a month fee?

Why do people expect banking to be free all the time? It's a service at the end of the day. It has a cost to deliver.

Leave a comment:

• velcro
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    What are your expectations and requirements?

I've been with HSBC for over a decade and never had an issue but others hate them with a passion!

Straightforward bank, easy to use website, no fees. Cater Allen used to be decent but now just painful... Someone said Starling are pretty good?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X