• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: New morality

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New morality"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Interesting that no one including you lot have looked at this from the point of view of the children. If the choice is between being in or out of care/foster homes and having a stable upbringing with a pair of pooftas then what? It is all very well AtW thinking that you can just chuck money at the problem (obviously has no children of his own) but there is a little bit more to adoption than one may think.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by ZZZZ Snoozer
    Was that a rhetorical question? There are shedloads in Scotland, anyway.
    Rhetorical, yes. They are Labour strongholds, and Catholic strongholds too.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I've changed my mind slightly.

After watching the Omen last night, I now dont think the Catholic Church should be allowed to be involved in ANY adoption.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    I think the government and the laws of this land should outweight ANY religious institution.

Law comes first, religion comes second (preferably a a hobby based passtime).

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    This doesn't just effect Catholic adoption agencys

There was a debate on radio 4 a couple of months ago as all businesses are required to give equal rights to Gay couples. Not a problem for big companies but some small family run bed and breakfasts weren't too happy that they were effectively being forced into condoning something that they personally don't agree with.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    I fail to see how the Catholic church can get all moralistic about this, when it has a problem with it's own Priests buggering children. At least the gays don't want them for sex games.
    That might make a fun thread, but it is no more relevant to this argument than paedophile teachers being representative of the whole education establishment.

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    I fail to see how the Catholic church can get all moralistic about this, when it has a problem with it's own Priests buggering children. At least the gays don't want them for sex games.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    What, pray, is the difference between "being dictated to by the Government" and "being subject to the laws of the land"? Would it by chance be in the eye of the beholder?
    I think the point is that it isn't the law of the land, but the government want to make it so.

It's the old conundrum about democracy, isn't it - in extremis, 51% can vote to have the other 49% put to death.

Leave a comment:

• ZZZZ Snoozer
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Are there any Catholics in Labour strongholds, like Liverpool and Scotland?
    Was that a rhetorical question? There are shedloads in Scotland, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Fishface
    I think (not sure) prospective couples have to married in a catholic church as one of the prerequisits.

I don't think the gays can do that yet - I'll ask the Pope.
    He's out to a sauerkraut lunch at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    I think (not sure) prospective couples have to married in a catholic church as one of the prerequisits.

I don't think the gays can do that yet - I'll ask the Pope.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Homosexual adoption was controversial, some transition period would have been sensible so church based adoption agencies could be absorbed into state ones.

The RC church are hardly my favourite religous nutters but they do have a right to their opinion, or do we only respect people that stone the faithful?

Good point SC!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    Catholic adoption agencies likely to close

This debate has been on and off the news for a while now and, I have to say, I totally disagree with Bliar (not unusual admittedly). The Catholic church should not be dictated to by the Government. Over to the panel
    Its not as if the catholic church has a monopoly on adoption agencies, gay couples should (and do) have the option to go to any agency.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by ZZZZ Snoozer
    Maybe the RC Church will stop telling its followers to vote Labour, this could be interesting...
    Are there any Catholics in Labour strongholds, like Liverpool and Scotland?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by John Galt
    Catholic adoption agencies likely to close

This debate has been on and off the news for a while now and, I have to say, I totally disagree with Bliar (not unusual admittedly). The Catholic church should not be dictated to by the Government. Over to the panel
    What, pray, is the difference between "being dictated to by the Government" and "being subject to the laws of the land"? Would it by chance be in the eye of the beholder?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X