• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "is there a "Sarbanes-Oxley Compliance" in UK ?"

Collapse

• Back In Business
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise
    Total idiots if they do
    I was referring to the EU so I cannot fault your assessment. Then again they might take "total idiots" as a complement

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by Back In Business
    There is a rumour that the EU will bring in similar but even stricter (allegedly) legislation in the next few years.
    Total idiots if they do, the Yanks are seriously regretting ever implimenting it (costing them billions each year to maintain compliance and is one of the major reasons so many companies are now chooseing not to list on US markets) and are now trying their best to figure out how to get rid of it without allowing another eron to happen

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    Scenario A (No SOX)

Go in. Design. Code. Test. Deploy. Contract ends.

Scenario B (SOX)

Go in. Begin documentation. Retire.

You decide. If you enjoy getting the job done then seek out scenario A's. If you just want kerrrching from now till you retire, choose B.

HTH
    scenario A+
    Go in fast. Design fast. Code fast . Test. Deploy fast. New work. Contract extended.

EO = A+

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    mb = scenario 2

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Scenario A (No SOX)

Go in. Design. Code. Test. Deploy. Contract ends.

Scenario B (SOX)

Go in. Begin documentation. Retire.

You decide. If you enjoy getting the job done then seek out scenario A's. If you just want kerrrching from now till you retire, choose B.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    exackery

sox = good news for contractors

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    SOX is the latest version of Y2K!

It is fundementally a good idea and concern, however, everybody is going overboard and getting carried away! Bottom line - a lot of extra work!

Mind you - creates jobs for us!!

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    in my experience sox only applies if you are working on systems belonging to a US stock exchange listed company

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Proper Change and Configuration Management deals with the majority of SOX issues (certainly the 404 bits).

It's just a matter of knowing who's doing what (and why) to your infrastructure.

Nothing big and scary if done with a bit of intelligence...

(Unless you're a cowboy who doesn't want anyone to know about your proxy server you're using to by-pass the 'no unofficial web mail' rules... ).
    Last edited by cojak; 17 February 2007, 13:16.

Leave a comment:

• Back In Business
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    Whoooohooo, good news more projects and more work for us
    Have you done SOX work before? It sucks and blows in equal measure and never in a good way.

Originally posted by OwlHoot
    I heard the Frogs are pushing for it like mad, to try and scupper the British stock exchange.
    I'm not sure who the main driver is but the EU don't want to be outdone by those nasty yanks. That's why they are going to go even further - if that's possible. I do think a major fraud will need to be committed in Europe to get general buy-in, so look out for that in the next 6 to 12 months.

Originally posted by kirk
    Bah, SOX! one of the reasons I left my previous permie job
    me too

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    Bah, SOX! one of the reasons I left my previous permie job

Among many others I could mention

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Ford owned car companies based here have to have a couple of security products installed on all Unix servers, SeOS and a reporting tool SCT.

Also going the same way at my present company who were taken over by the yanks......

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by Weltchy
    You can't be a technical architect then

When I was working for Bank of America, the SOX stuff came in, we started setting retention periods on email to 30 days, everything after that would get deleted !! and yes everything had to be documented, but then event logs on servers capture most things.

Leave a comment:

• Weltchy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Doing more documentation than coding is just ridiculous
    You can't be a technical architect then

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    Who cares man? do you know the number of new projects that were going on in each listed company? do you know how much work such legislation can create for us contractors ! why do you guys always see the half empty glass?

More legislation == more Kerching !
    You must be a PM

As a developer I can't imagine anything more horrible that SOX compliance. Documenting my work is one thing. Doing more documentation than coding is just ridiculous and I will actively avoid anything SOX related.

There are two types of contractor, those that are in it for the money and those that actually love what they're doing. I'm in the latter camp, and I intend to keep it that way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X