• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Contracting in NHS

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contracting in NHS"

Collapse

• edison
    replied
    I've worked in seven FTSE100 and Fortune 500 companies and believe me, there were plenty of useless permies and contractors in some of those companies which wasted many millions on IT, you just rarely hear about it in the media.

I've not worked in the NHS but have worked with an NHS trust in a previous perm role and it was a nightmare. It was one of the reasons I left.

I don't think all public sector or not for profit organisations are the same. I've worked in two very good ones.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Were you the PM who had his contract terminated immediately and was marched offsite while I was there?
    No. But I do remember a contractor (not PM - a midwife IIRC) being marched offsite and left in the street outside the office building when she was clearly have a complete delusional mental breakdown. And there were plenty of doctors in the building as well. That was really shocking - the NHS client said they had no duty of care towards a contractor. I guess it was good for her IR35 status.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Sorry about that.
    Were you the PM who had his contract terminated immediately and was marched offsite while I was there?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I did one contract at the DHSS many years ago, the permies (civil servatns) were great, the techies (us) were great, the consultants (EDS) were useless knobheads.

The next one I did was just a PoC for the NHS, the permies were pretty good, most of the contractors I met were bored tulipless but good at their jobs when they had work to do, the PMs (primarily contractors) were useless big headed twats.
    Sorry about that.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I did one contract at the DHSS many years ago, the permies (civil servatns) were great, the techies (us) were great, the consultants (EDS) were useless knobheads.

The next one I did was just a PoC for the NHS, the permies were pretty good, most of the contractors I met were bored tulipless but good at their jobs when they had work to do, the PMs (primarily contractors) were useless big headed twats.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Michail View Post
    I have been contracting in NHS for the last 5 months.

It is my first time in the public sector. It is the most crazy workplace i have ever worked. This place is full of cockblocking permies that they have been there forever and they have roots growing from their chairs.. Technically inept, heavily unionized snowflakes , gaslighting, constantly sitting on the fence not making any decisions. Projects that are running in parallel and should be interfacing with each other are completely siloed resulting in massive failures and years of blockages. Eventually they will attempt the same project again and it will be somehow blocked or fail. These people are throwing public money into a massive black hole.

I honestly think i work in a 3rd world country.

Fellow contractors that you have worked for NHS please discuss.
    It's all the same in most (if not all) public sector organisations.

Same for me when I was at the Scottish Government; most permies were completely useless and doing very little work, they were just chatting and eating cake. Very cushy job and company pension contributions were around 15-25%...why would anyone want to leave?

The project I was on was a complete disaster and colossal waste of taxpayers' money: permies didn't like contractors and didn't want to work with us, didn't share important info about the project and a few times very conveniently "forgot" to even invite us to meetings.

In 6 months there I probably did 1 month worth of work.

I still take pride in my work, but as soon as I stop caring about it I'll apply for a permie role there and sail through retirement

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Because most are hired via private-sector contractor bodies.
    Not in my experience, lot of outside roles being advertised by PS bodies themselves (actual outside, payment on deliverable rather than T&M etc)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I spent more than half my contracting career in various NHS trusts. Worked with good people. Dealt with a few arseholes with a dislike of contractors. Delivered some projects. Saw some money well spent and some money badly spent. Helped save a few thousand lives along the way.

I guess it's not for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Michail View Post

I actually thought to go to the papers...But will they listen?
    Nope as they suspect it already.

If you went to them showing you did lots of work then it would be a story.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I suspect people with more than one young child and/or a older person they are the carer of will take those roles.
    The former is me. I quit Investment Banking because of it but there are middle-path solutions.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    New IR35 rules have been in the public sector for years, has had some impact but not like you suggest
    Because most are hired via private-sector contractor bodies.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    It's a similar story throughout most of the public sector.

The few projects that do make it are entirely contractor driven which is why IR35 is going to have a considerable impact on this sector, nobody is going to want to go inside/permie in these places unless they are hopeless themselves.
    New IR35 rules have been in the public sector for years, has had some impact but not like you suggest

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Did work for a MOD department once, it was awful. Don't think I'd be allowed to say which on here, DV cleared for it, suffice to say there was a lot of ar$e covering from top to bottom with money flowing out the door quicker than a water. Entrenched workers as you say, protecting their own; can't see beyond their needs for the greater whole. Or they were just plain fraudulent.

Followed it up with a job in the RN, completely different experience oddly enough. Really comes down to the people.

Leave a comment:

• Michail
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    lashing out 'cos you've been canned then eh?
    Not really,

It was 5 months of free money as they did not let me do any work.

I actually thought to go to the papers...But will they listen?
    Last edited by Michail; 30 September 2020, 20:51.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    It's a similar story throughout most of the public sector.

The few projects that do make it are entirely contractor driven which is why IR35 is going to have a considerable impact on this sector, nobody is going to want to go inside/permie in these places unless they are hopeless themselves.
    I suspect people with more than one young child and/or a older person they are the carer of will take those roles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X