• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Permie job offer

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Permie job offer"

Collapse

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    - CCNA still seems to be valid but forget MCSE, that just means you are a support g!mp = 15-18k/year.
    Oi! As a bad permy maybe but I make more than 3x that with an 'introduction to IT' type course as my only training, its all about experience and your ability to find a good gig.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Don't compare the perm offer with the current contract terms, you need to compare with the market. Your perm job probably = the current contract rate making it a very reasonable offer.
    Couple of things -
    - If they just want you to keep plugging away in your old job with vague offers of training, that would be a bad idea. Get firm offers of what training you will be given/where the role is going in the next 3 years.
    - CCNA still seems to be valid but forget MCSE, that just means you are a support g!mp = 15-18k/year.
    You need to find a different boat to jump on, management, dev etc but make sure it is going to be a runner in a few years (if you can !) notes isn't.
    Another option - ask for 50k, they know what you are currently on which doesn't make the request ridiculous. DONT fall for the 'we will review the salary in 3/6 months time' line, it's b*ll*cks.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    More than that. Have you ever rounded up 100 people and told them that on average they should earn £26k etc etc.

I'd guess without city traders etc the average wage is more like £17k
    That's why it's best to look at median or modal incomes, mean incomes are skewed. 22k-24k is prob 'modal' earnings.

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    cobol is making a comeback

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Fortran IV
    Basic

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by notescontractor
    What's a good skill set these days? Looks like I'm going to have plenty of training opportunites available.
    MSCE or CCNA etc?
    Fortran IV

Leave a comment:

• notescontractor
    replied
    I'm going to take the job!!!! Cheers

What's a good skill set these days? Looks like I'm going to have plenty of training opportunites available.
    MSCE or CCNA etc?

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    I have a small mortgage. One of the main factors is my skill set. I am a Notes administrator, Notes is dead, so this is a good chance to get trained on some worthwhile stuff.

25k cut is making me shake just thinking about it.

I think the crux of this is the reason you want to go for this position. As you say, Notes is dead (though taking it's time about it!) and a medium term move would be to realign your skillset. If you can adapt to the permie salary for a year or so, you should be able to relaunch yourself into the contractor world if that is what you want.

I was a Notes bod (all the clp gubbins etc) but jumped ship onto other stuff in 98/99 and everyone I know who remained in that contract market is getting paid less and less each year. If your current gig fell through you might not be able to secure anything that pays as well as your current set-up - 1600 plus per week on average for Notes is way above market rate - and by then a 45k permie role might not seem like such a bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Well, that's twice the average wage in the UK, so I guess it is possible!

What skills would you hope to pick up at this permie job?
    More than that. Have you ever rounded up 100 people and told them that on average they should earn £26k etc etc.

I'd guess without city traders etc the average wage is more like £17k

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I have a small mortgage. One of the main factors is my skill set. I am a Notes administrator, Notes is dead, so this is a good chance to get trained on some worthwhile stuff.

But when Notes does die, you'll be taking an 80K cut.

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I guess you are right - although if I take this role i'll have no life and no money.

Do i take it, or do i not? can one live off 45k + 8%? Has anyone else been in the same boat?
    Of course one can live on 45K + 8%. 98% of the population manage it, do you see them living in cardboard boxes (yes I know that there are a very few who do).

TBH, apart from the on call allowance (which seems a staggering amount BTW) 45K plus 8% plus 'opportunities' (presumably without the need to be on call) is a good swap for 35ph, IMHO. If my current client had offered same I would have said yes (he offered 35K, which I told him was a joke salary), for much the same reason as you, I am seeing interesting contract work dry up.

tim

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    can one live off 45k + 8%?
    Well, that's twice the average wage in the UK, so I guess it is possible!

What skills would you hope to pick up at this permie job?

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    You permie pay is more than my contract pay! So yes, you can live off of £45K easily.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Never mind the calculators and other whizzy financial tools. Look at how much goes into your account each month, avergage it over 12/18/24 months. Now look at how much will go in from the Permie package. Add on whatever you are paying for memberships - eg PCG, insurance, accountants fees and anything else you won't have to pay for as a permie. Those are the figures you need to compare.

Leave a comment:

• notescontractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Depends where you live and if you are paying a mortgage etc etc.

No mortgage then yes, easily.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X