• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best band of all time"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    That is dreadful

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Glad you enjoyed: try this instead:

One Of These Days - YouTube

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Joy Divison: Love will tear us apart.

When routine bites hard
    And ambitions are low
    And resentment rides high
    But emotions won't grow
    And we're changing our ways
    Taking different roads
    Love, love will tear us apart again
    Why is the bedroom so cold?
    Turned away on your side
    Is my timing that flawed?
    Our respect run so dry?
    Yet there's still this appeal
    That we've kept through our lives
    But love, love will tear us apart again
    Do you cry out in your sleep?
    All my failings exposed
    Gets a taste in my mouth
    As desperation takes hold
    And it's something so good
    Just can't function no more?
    Love, love will tear up apart again

Anyone who's loved and failed will know what he means....

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Not for me.
    Bangin' on the bongoes like a chimpanzee?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    S.A.H.B.
    'nuff said

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    No I don't think so either. However I ask myself who it is I still listen to today, they come up more often than not. So for me that qualifies them, a band that stands the test of time that I continue to listen to.

Queen, hands down - their music amazing, but only listen to now and again.

When an audience rocks to a band without even being there = legend status

Their Live Aid set in 1985 was incredible. I saw them at the famed Knebworth gig the next year and it didn't quite hit the heights for me. Probably because there were a bazillion fans and it felt like I was a mile from the stage. However, I've only ever seen two singers live with more charisma than Freddie Mercury. One was James Brown and the other was Dave Lee Roth (solo, not in Van Halen.) A bit like the Bo Rap video above, he came on stage and after one minute received a two minute standing ovation. I've seen many hundreds of live acts but nothing else like that.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    That is dreadful

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Used to know a guy called Thor whose Dad was in Hawkwind. Turned out it was short for Denethor. We reckoned that it was the best available LotR character name after the other band members had picked off the good names.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Hawkwind with Stacia.

Hawkwind - Silver Machine - YouTube

Hawkwind NY Academy of Music Nov 25,1973 Silver Machine YouTube - YouTube
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 September 2020, 12:30.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Anyone would think this is the OGWT thread...

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I watched some Queen concert last year on the TV, Brian May was charging about like a total fanny with these god awful never-ending guitar solos. I assumed he was on some cocaine binge where he though they sounded good. I quite liked Mercury, thought he was talented, but when he got to the stadium gig days of queen he too ended up looking like a fanny with the top off and crowns and tulip. Shame.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    He was a jazz drummer in the 60s. Try it sometime, it's f***ing hard, compared to 4/4 rock.
    Not for me.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
    Bollocks. Bridges to Babylon is 2 sides of pure classics. Would have been at least 2 top 10 hits on it had it not been for the Bannisterisation of Radio 1.
    FOG.

Leave a comment:

• Rearden Metal
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Sure, they went on far too long - off the top of my head, I can't recall anything after Tattoo You - but it's more than that. Even their best albums have a lot of weak tracks. Exile on Main St. being a notable exception.
    Bollocks. Bridges to Babylon is 2 sides of pure classics. Would have been at least 2 top 10 hits on it had it not been for the Bannisterisation of Radio 1.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I've still got the first Kula Shaker album on CD and saw them live in their early days but I don't think there's any feasible scenario where 'best band of all time' and Kula Shaker can possibly be in the same sentence.
    No I don't think so either. However I ask myself who it is I still listen to today, they come up more often than not. So for me that qualifies them, a band that stands the test of time that I continue to listen to.

Queen, hands down - their music amazing, but only listen to now and again.

When an audience rocks to a band without even being there = legend status

Last edited by scooterscot; 21 September 2020, 20:58.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I do like the Three Sides Live album by Genesis.

And, of course, there's always Kate Bush.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X