• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Plans B

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Plans B"

Collapse

• Numptycorner
    replied
    Originally posted by andy
    I used to do day trading in AIM shares. After sitting on a loss of 15 grand I gave it up. I can't believe how much frauds and corruption goes on there. Directors drive the company to the ground and pocket all the money. Happend to me with many shares.
    Now there is a plan B - Float a company in AIM and live life big time
    Like Artisan :-(

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    My plan B is to send the wife out to work.

Plan C is to send son #1 out to work.

Plan D is to send send son #2 out to work.

Plan E is to send daughter #1 out to work.
    DundeeGeorge is lonely in Ipswich...

Leave a comment:

• OrangeHopper
    replied
    My plan B is to send the wife out to work.

Plan C is to send son #1 out to work.

Plan D is to send send son #2 out to work.

Plan E is to send daughter #1 out to work.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Which way will you fall ?
    Up or down - for better or worse
    Any fool can tell you their plan B
    But it takes a wise man to know ...
    ...what to do ...what to do ... what to do ...

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    You weren't very good at it were you
    Initialy I made good money since many of them rise spectacularly like 2 fold increase in one day but then from my portfolio of about 8-9 shares 3 went bust.

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    You weren't very good at it were you

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    I used to do day trading in AIM shares. After sitting on a loss of 15 grand I gave it up. I can't believe how much frauds and corruption goes on there. Directors drive the company to the ground and pocket all the money. Happend to me with many shares.
    Now there is a plan B - Float a company in AIM and live life big time

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo
    OK but I think you would find the economics of running a country pub would mean that hiring a manager would not be viable. There is not that much money to be made out of them
    Surely this depend on whether you give up the day job.

tim

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB
    My plan B was to take a reasonable permie package ofter 23 years on the game. Pays better and much less stress than any of the other ventures I looked at.

After all that time contracting and with a reasonable asset base one does tend to think why bust a gut and only clear 25k.
    I ponder this one every year or 2 but the trouble is that reasonable permie packages tend to mean they expect you to take a bit of responsibility and hastle on board. Code cutting permie salaries don't seem to have gone up much in years outside London.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    incase you are wondering benes planb is doing very well

like any business would benefit from more investment, but
    that's life and will come with time

good luck with your plan b's

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    My plan B was to take a reasonable permie package ofter 23 years on the game. Pays better and much less stress than any of the other ventures I looked at.

After all that time contracting and with a reasonable asset base one does tend to think why bust a gut and only clear 25k.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    This is my plan B.

However if this is your plan B then its a good idea to have a good sturdy weather proof cardboard box on hand, just in case.
    Brings a smile to my face thinking about one of favourite contracting colleagues who worked a lot of 7 day weeks to get his bank balance to bragging proportions before losing 70K in a matter of days while Day Trading in tech shares.

I have done a couple of building projects for my Plan B, hard graft and risky compared to contracting but a good way of taking a break from IT monotony and travel.
    Last edited by rootsnall; 29 January 2007, 09:24.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...aha that's interesting Gooner, we can compare out strategies at the end of the year.

May the best man win.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    I'm looking to start my Plan C, my Plan B is the BTL I have, my Plan C which I'm in talks about now, will NET me 50k per year, the investment is 250k, and to top it everything is in cash !!! Once this is setup, I won't need to contract and it will only need me to put in about 8 hours per week, but I do have a plan D which again is cash and will give me about 70k per year but I'll need about 300k investment for it. The work will be about 3 day every two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl
    Anyone ever tried online trading or spread betting on shares/markets? Im sure you could make an extra 1k a month doing it.
    This is my plan B.

However if this is your plan B then its a good idea to have a good sturdy weather proof cardboard box on hand, just in case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X