• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Office face time

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Office face time"

Collapse

• BlueSharp
    replied
    WFH full time for the last 6 months, but as contract is up end of September (25% chance of renewal) and market is dead and I have no desire to be part of the second wave this may turn into an early Christmas Holiday and opportunity to build plan B.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Thanks not how you spell wank

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Some of us can multi-task.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Or I could go for a walk at lunchtime.
    Thanks not how you spell wank

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    working from office is so last century
    working from home should be norm unless you really have to

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Get one of those miners head torches, where's your sense of adventure
    Or I could go for a walk at lunchtime.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I would drive to the train station. It's more that sunrise isn't until 8:30 in December. Going for a walk on the beach in the dark in the rain isn't much fun, and there's no proper pavement to access the beach and it's a pretty hairy 200 metres on the road around a bend at the best of times.
    Get one of those miners head torches, where's your sense of adventure

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    If you were commuting you'd get off your backside and trudge through the rain to the train station, helipad, whatever. You just have to keep the habit up and dress appropriately for the weather.

(says she who doesn't bother going outside even if it is nice weather because she's too lazy)
    I would drive to the train station. It's more that sunrise isn't until 8:30 in December. Going for a walk on the beach in the dark in the rain isn't much fun, and there's no proper pavement to access the beach and it's a pretty hairy 200 metres on the road around a bend at the best of times.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I take a 1 hour walk on the beach every morning. Lovely. Not sure what I'm going to do when winter hits.
    If you were commuting you'd get off your backside and trudge through the rain to the train station, helipad, whatever. You just have to keep the habit up and dress appropriately for the weather.

(says she who doesn't bother going outside even if it is nice weather because she's too lazy)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Get a dog then you have to go out even when its howling a gale.

I tried a sad light thing for winter months, not sure if helped me or not.
    I have an artificial dawn SAD light. Same, I'm not sure whether it helps. I'll probably start work a bit earlier and take an hour for a lunchtime walk. I don't mind a bit of rain as long as it's not pouring.

I wouldn't mind a dog but we have a cat and and the house layout isn't really right for both. Will probably move ina couple of years and get a dog as well.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I take a 1 hour walk on the beach every morning. Lovely. Not sure what I'm going to do when winter hits.
    Get a dog then you have to go out even when its howling a gale.

I tried a sad light thing for winter months, not sure if helped me or not.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    We are going into the office tomorrow for the first time since March. It's a design meeting.

I expect we will now continue on a twice a month basis or something like that.

I'm near to signing-up on a second contract which will be 100% wfh.

Really can't be bothered with offices any more but I have ended up working even harder at home, to be honest.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    When i first started working from home i found it a bit tedious, started running before work and it really helped.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I am getting a bit tired of being in my home all day everyday. It's alright when the weather is nice and can go for walks/coffees. This week is going to be utter crap.
    When i first started working from home i found it a bit tedious, started running before work and it really helped.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    100% remote working from early March. Client originally targeted a return to the office for end of October, now has already said we won't be going back at all this year. Maybe we'll be back at some point in 2021 and only for necessary activities, such as workshops.

Not going to change much for me as current project (and previous one) had teams are spread around the UK so meeting face to face was always out of the question.

I am getting a bit tired of being in my home all day everyday. It's alright when the weather is nice and can go for walks/coffees. This week is going to be utter crap.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I was about to start part 2 of a small contract covering for someone on paternity leave (I had worked for the customer before) when lockdown came in. The customer had never allowed WFH previous to this but said they had a laptop all ready for me and to come up and work everything out. I had hotels booked for the whole of March and April but ended up with staying just one night as the hotel called me and said they had to cancel all the rest of my bookings. So basically 2 months was spent with WFH and just a one day on site at the end to handover.

For my main contract, which is primarily WFH and has been for 5 years now, its been a bit more more difficult to get to the office. The office is designated as a key area and does require people to go in. I only tend to go in about 4-6 times a year but this year has been difficult. Although I have been told I have dispensation to go in, I'm still waiting for the paperwork from the DHS so I can get my pre-clearance with TSA sorted, my office is in Washington DC. I was meant to go 2 weeks ago and then on to a customer in New Jersey but without the paperwork it was a no go, luckily I was able to do everything remote. Once the official paperwork comes through, I'll be packing my bags. In the meantime I have the added joy of a customer visit to Bromsgrove coming up, not too sure which is the more dangerous...

I forgot, the US company sent me one of these this week for the home office as I was moaning it was too hot and humid to work: Marshall Fridge- Official Website for the Marshall Mini Fridges
    Last edited by darmstadt; 25 August 2020, 09:39.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X