• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Oi, fatties

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oi, fatties"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    No 10 plans weight loss drive to ready UK for expected Covid-19 second wave | Obesity | The Guardian

If they were really serious about this then they would have opened gyms earlier, they wouldn't be cutting back on grants for sports organisations, they wouldn't be offering people money to go and eat out. Will they be offering reduced rates for people joining gyms?
    It's enough to make you leave the country, isn't it. Oh, you already did that...

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Must admit, despite trying to pick running back up during lockdown (Curtailed again due to bloody sciatica) I had a bit of a shock when I stood on the scales end of May. Lost a stone since, though

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    come december all the fatties will be dropping like flies due to covid-19

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    I read that you don't need to have gym membership to be fit. You can most likely perform exercises at home and even when the gym get to know that you do this at home, they will not send the gym police to extract the money for membership that you tried to avoid.
    But if HMRC ran gyms...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    So basically fatso’s only really need a few years pension money - this is excellent news for the HM Treasury
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    I read that you don't need to have gym membership to be fit. You can most likely perform exercises at home and even when the gym get to know that you do this at home, they will not send the gym police to extract the money for membership that you tried to avoid.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    So basically fatso’s only really need a few years pension money - this is good news for my saving plans

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Healthy people live to 90.
    Not in Covid world they won’t.

Next!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Healthier people will be cheaper to Nhs in a long run - that’s the savings, in the mean time tax fatsos till they slim down
    Healthy people live to 90.

The SNP have been saying scots should get higher pensions as we die younger.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Seem to have been a lot more people cycling, running & walking in last few months so some are obviously being sensible but heard about a few, mainly old farts or with medical problems, who've just stayed indoors.
    Lot of new runners out these days.

I'm a big believer in councils doing more for runners. Shaping mile/half mile circuits, modifying a few junctions, putting better lighting in a few areas for after dark safety.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Healthier people will be cheaper to Nhs in a long run - that’s the savings, in the mean time tax fatsos till they slim down.

Also plan B for the Treasury will be changing acceptable BMI from 25 to 24, then 23...

And last but not least - extra tax on squirrel eaters
    Last edited by AtW; 11 July 2020, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    As I sit here dunking biscuits in my coffee, I can't help but think that this is edging towards a nanny state which I really don't want. People need to take responsibility for their actions and for the effect their lifestyle has.

The problem I have with things like a fat tax is that it is almost impossible to ring fence the funds for a particular purpose. The treasury gets used to the extra income and, should that day come when the weight of the nation is mostly under 25 BMI so the take is minimal, what tax will they seek to replace it with?

The other issue is that there are bigger issues around weight that aren't just about too many calories in and too few out. Poverty plays a huge part - the cheap food is often the worst nutritionally. Education also plays a factor. I remember Home Economics at school was terrible at showing how to make healthy food cheaply. I was told that my high fibre meal (jacket potato and beans with salad) wasn't a proper meal (it was a meal in my house). I am not sure if schools even have the budgets for full kitchens to teach good cooking and nutrition - the posh schools will have them, further marginalising the poor.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    YouTube

Diets are racist anyway.

[emoji849]

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Seem to have been a lot more people cycling, running & walking in last few months so some are obviously being sensible but heard about a few, mainly old farts or with medical problems, who've just stayed indoors.
    Or were just social shut ins anyway.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If they were serious they’d put 1% income tax for each 1 unit over BMI 25 - fund NHS with that
    To the left of centre on the "where am I politically" dial goes, "social democrat", "left wing", "I've been reading Marx", "Czechoslovakia needed the tanks", "Pol Pot was actually a nice guy", then, somewhere past Pluto you get to "I'm an NHS Doctor"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X