• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coronavirus: UK could be 'worst affected' country in Europe"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    They are only testing people who need ICU and small number of Nhs staff - so there are brakes on PERMITTED demand, if they relax criteria then demand will go up 10 times at least

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Bollocking bollocks:

The spokesman claimed Britain now has the capacity to carry out more than 35,000 coronavirus tests a day. NHS laboratories could do about 20,000 a day, and the rest could be carried out in commercial laboratories, the spokesman said. But he said the most recent figure for the number of tests carried out was 15,994 in the 24-hour period up to 9am yesterday. Asked why the government was testing less than half the number of people it could test, the spokesman said capacity was being build all the time, and the reasons testing had been flat was because of a lack of demand, not a lack of capacity. He said the long bank holiday weekend was a factor.
    WTF! Nearly everyone is at home, ******* piss poor excuse...So what are they covering up?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Not enough tests to perform 2 negative tests needed to qualify somebody as recovered?

People who have recovered are probably happy enough to get out of hospital, unlikely to complain loudly about not being included into figures.
    Most likely explanation

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Looking at all the various charts, RKI, Worldometer, PHE, Google why is there no figure for the UK for cases where people have recovered in the UK. Every other country shows this figure but not the UK, anyone care to take a guess?
    Not enough tests to perform 2 negative tests needed to qualify somebody as recovered?

People who have recovered are probably happy enough to get out of hospital, unlikely to complain loudly about not being included into recovered figures.

Also chances are people are kicked off hospital before full official recovery to do so at home as hospital beds are scarce.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Looking at all the various charts, RKI, Worldometer, PHE, Google why is there no figure for the UK for cases where people have recovered in the UK. Every other country shows this figure but not the UK, anyone care to take a guess?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    I will need to stop early afternoon drinking from home, I could swear blind Man Hancock said they were going to give care workers special badge as a reward rather than PPE or a pay rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    And it's not as it it is new, came out in 2019: The CARE™ Badge

Presumably he thinks he's Akela and everyone will get a badge depending on their job...

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    I will need to stop early afternoon drinking from home, I could swear blind Man Hancock said they were going to give care workers special badge as a reward rather than PPE or a pay rise

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    The government isn't inept and is doing the best they can. I'm impressed by the Nightingale hospitals and distribution systems put in place. Sweden is doing herd immunity and have lowish rates of infection and death but completely different demographics and population distribution characteristics. It's not surprising that a virus hits heavily populated areas and culturally close communities hardest such as the large UK cities. There's no cure so you get it and survive or die and the older you are especially 60+ the risk of death increases. All any government is currently doing is flattening the curve to provide time to build resources and develop tests and vaccines. At some point they'll start lifting the restrictions, probably end of May, then there'll be another spike of infection worldwide but we may have the resources to cope. Comparing the damn statistical lies with widely varying data sources does no one any good. Or is your hobby simply slagging off the UK government?
    What is probably the most significant reason why Sweden has a lower infection rate than many other comparable countries? It takes a bit of lateral thinking.

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That's not true. Although we know that this particular pandemic is caused by a coronavirus, not a 'flu virus, the next pandemic might well by a type A influenza virus, and have an even higher mortality rate.

A bad 'flu pandemic has the potential to kill more people than the current coronavirus pandemic.
    I live and learn! I thought mortality rate was lower than Covid.

The premise I was trying for, was it was not to be trivially dismissed, as a section of people seem to be doing that.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Weeping quietly somewhere at your pathetic use of the apostrophe?
    If that's the only thing that upsets you at the moment you must be living life like Atw

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    That graph bears no apparent relation to the day zeros as recorded in worldometers.info or COVID19info.live: Real-time Updates & Stats for the Coronavirus

If it is correct for day zero for Switzerland, it only goes to the 3rd April.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    China have 105 new cases the majority come from a region that shares it's border with Russia....

Btw Where is Putin?
    Weeping quietly somewhere at your pathetic use of the apostrophe?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Britain will do OK, you're going to get killed more quickly in one of the other backward EU states.

France, Swiss, Germany and UK are all running about the same on this.

And for all everyone is trying to convince themselves otherwise the US with its much bigger economy and having by far the most advanced health care in the world is the safest place to be right now and will end with the lowest mortality of any large western country.

God Bless Donald Trump!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    If me, cretin as I am, can logon to Liveleak and see the hospitals in China and see the staff crying and breaking down, with bodies of people of middle to late ages, literally dead or dying on the floor, you know its not flu.
    That's not true. Although we know that this particular pandemic is caused by a coronavirus, not a 'flu virus, the next pandemic might well by a type A influenza virus, and have an even higher mortality rate.

A bad 'flu pandemic has the potential to kill more people than the current coronavirus pandemic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X