• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Succeeded.....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Succeeded....."

Collapse

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Me too.

It hurts a tad when you fall off & land on your head sans skidlid...
    I broke both legs when I was 16 (hit by BIG lorry) but that hasn't stopped me. Biking is a way of life and no risk of accidents or bad weather can change it!!

BI in proud to be a biker mode

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    I like my box thankyou

put off motorbikes at a very young age

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear
    Thank you

I feel enlightened
    It's all wasted on box-driving people anyway....

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Thank you

I feel enlightened

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear
    Excuse me for being a Motorbike numpty but....

Why do you need an electric windscreen?

It's not like you need to wind it down to through a ciggy out - is it?
    I forgive you because you don't know any better. An electric windscreen allows you to lift it up when you are going on a motorway (thus avoiding the windblast) and to lower it down when you are riding on country roads and want to see ahead of you without the screen gettinf in the way (as it causes a slight distorsion). Also, it allows adjusting for people of different heights (same as height-adjustable seat, also provided on the bike). Once you start using it, you appreciate its usefulness and you never wnat to do without

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
    That's just 80 miles a day! Try riding twice as much as that, on the motorway, and you'll start appreciating comfy seats, electric windscreen, heated grips and niced wrap-around fairing.
    Excuse me for being a Motorbike numpty but....

Why do you need an electric windscreen?

It's not like you need to wind it down to through a ciggy out - is it?

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    blimey, I don't think I'd survive on that bike. I like my comforts....
    It was a bit bonkers, but I loved the bike. You wouldn't believe the number of boy racers who'd try it on. Anyway that beemer looks just the job.

Congrats on the new contract, sounds like you're on the way.

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by gables
    I know it's not that much really Forgot to say, that we then moved to scotland I commuted down on a sunday and back on friday 360 miles each journey
    blimey, I don't think I'd survive on that bike. I like my comforts....

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    That's just 80 miles a day! Try riding twice as much as that, on the motorway, and you'll start appreciating comfy seats, electric windscreen, heated grips and niced wrap-around fairing.
    I know it's not that much really Forgot to say, that we then moved to scotland I commuted down on a sunday and back on friday 360 miles each journey

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    The 990 Adventure has a decent fairing and comes with road tyres so is a pretty good mile muncher. It is high wide and handsome so you will be seen.
    I ride a duke II which has no wind protection and has a minute tank, but as I live near the lake district it is lots of fun.
    I believe you. I am having fun with the blackbird but I find that riding it over 90 minutes gets uncomfortable. I had a chance to test-ride the r1200rt for a weekend and it's very comfortable but still "sporty" enough for some serious country roads fun (and Mrs BI loves it, too, which is a huge bonus)

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by gables
    this is what I used to commute on http://www.motorbikestoday.com/galle...aha-YZF-R1.jpg day in day out all weathers, 400 miles a week.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    KTM is very nice but it's probably not the best bike to travel on a British motorway in winter if you want to arrive safe, dry and warm.
    The 990 Adventure has a decent fairing and comes with road tyres so is a pretty good mile muncher. It is high wide and handsome so you will be seen.
    I ride a duke II which has no wind protection and has a minute tank, but as I live near the lake district it is lots of fun.

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Surely getting the first one is the most difficult!
    The problem is that one is happy with almost anything when it comes down to the first contract, just to get into the market, but then one becomes more picky when it comes down to the successive ones. I have refused contracts because the rate was lower then the one I was getting in my first contract, or because the work wasn't interesting enough, or because I didn't like the location, but I would have accepted whatever contract was offered to me when I started contracting (furtunately I had the luxury of choosing between two offers, which is nice). It surely helps when your skills are in great demand and you can afford to be choosy.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    this is what I used to commute on http://www.motorbikestoday.com/galle...aha-YZF-R1.jpg day in day out all weathers, 400 miles a week.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    In getting that (in)famous second contract, which, according to the honourable fraternity of CUKers, is the most difficult thing to do.

Surely getting the first one is the most difficult!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X