• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ask for a rate increase"

Collapse

• n5gooner
    replied
    why Ask for a rise ? my client gives me a rise just to stay with them...

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Or, like me, he is a very big boy

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    'Lubricants! Sales of KY jelly gone through the roof as B'Liar, Brownhatter and the rest of nuLieBore shaft us all.
    I was once in a checkout queue at a Boots pharmacy in Norwich, in front was a good looking girl & her boyfriend - at the checkout he raced away and came back with a tube of KY & placed into her basket ...the girls face turned beetroot - but paid for it.

Either the natural juices were not flowing or he's allowed in the tradesman's entrance ...

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by Financial Times
    [The ONS said the main reason for the jump in the CPI was the rise in the price of fuels and lubricants, reflecting the increase in fuel duty which came into effect on December 6.
    'Lubricants! Sales of KY jelly gone through the roof as B'Liar, Brownhatter and the rest of nuLieBore shaft us all.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    UK inflation jumped to a 10-year high of 3% in December, raising the prospect of more interest rate increases.

Official figures showed that higher fuel costs helped to push the Consumer Prices Index up from 2.7% in November.

An increase had been expected following last week's shock rise in UK interest rates to 5.25%, but the rise was larger than analysts had forecast.

The Retail Prices Index, which includes mortgage interest payments, rose to 4.4% in December from 3.9%.

The RPI figure - which is often used as a basis for wage demands - is now at its highest level since 1991.

Hang on, so inflation goes up, so BOE put up interest rates. Peoples mortgages go up and so they need a pay rise to cover it, and this pushes up inflation, so the BOE put up interest rates and....

Is the bubble going to go pop or are house prices going to go up another 1000% this week?

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Dim, I have to agree with the old cloth cat here.
    Me too.
    Especially considering that our disabled sportsmen and women do better than our able bodied ones.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    There is a difference between un- PC and offensive. E.g. IMHO it is never OK to call someone in a wheelchair a spastic . Of course you may think differently. Sorry, maybe I need to adopt a school bully mentality to fit in here.
    Just wondering why spastic is now a non-word - we used to have the spastic society as a charity not so long ago

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Dim, I have to agree with the old cloth cat here.

I had a long argument on another board about a similar thing. It got very nasty.
    Remember, some of our members do have mentaly and physicaly disabled children.

[edit]Doh, he has done it while I was typing.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    There you go. Wouldn't want any politically incorrect stuff on here Bag-o-Pus.
    There is a difference between un- PC and offensive. E.g. IMHO it is never OK to call someone in a wheelchair a spastic . Of course you may think differently. Sorry, maybe I need to adopt a school bully mentality to fit in here.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Well in that case it must be time for a (contract) rate increase.

Boomed!

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
    Of course the real rate of inflation is much more than 3%.
    Time last week put it at 7%. Not including mortgages or house prices.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    "Removed in the name of decency. "

I missed it. What did it say, what did it say?!!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    There you go. Wouldn't want any politically incorrect stuff on here Bag-o-Pus.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Dim, your signature is in very bad taste. If you have any decency you will remove it.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6265765.stm but if it goes above 3%, the Bank's governor Mervyn King would have to write a letter of explanation to the government.
    Dear Gord me old chum - how's it hanging?

I'm afraid we have a 'little local difficulty' with the plebs, seems they've rumbled that the inflation figures we've been putting out are absolute tosh - your wheeze with altering the stats to keep a lid on this thing I'm afraid just won't cut the mustard anymore - what with above inflation rises for the trains, utilities, council tax etc we've been rumbled.

We are expecting a rise in the number of proles going the IVA route - Bob at the Midland (or whatever it's called these days) is livid that you set up this escape route for the great unwashed... managed to calm him down & to placate all the bean counters at the 'Big 4' if you agree to keep your tanks off their car parks (mainly Maurice at the M&M Commision) we'll stuff a couple of points onto the base rate which will keep them in Bolly for the foreseable future.

See You in No 10 soon

Merv

Leave a comment:

Working...
X