• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MPs call for action on banks, Big Tech to avoid IT failures"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    The Blockchain that is Bitcoin has not had one failure in the network these past 10 years.

Just saying like

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    No such animal.
    I've warned you, craphat.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Even at $12k each, that's a lot of pizzas!

Top Five Most Expensive Pizzas in The World - Haute Living

I can't see any self-respecting Glaswegian spending $4,200 on a pizza...
    No such animal.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    feck me that's a lot of pizza's
    Even at $12k each, that's a lot of pizzas!

Top Five Most Expensive Pizzas in The World - Haute Living

I can't see any self-respecting Glaswegian spending $4,200 on a pizza...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    And you fell for it?
    I was a bootie, not a tankee!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    an Army Recruitment ad of the time.

"My name's Bob and I'm a born leader! I earn £40 a week! You can buy farsands of smarties for £40".
    And you fell for it?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Bob??? wtf?
    It was from a comedy sketch by the well known comedian and travelling minstrel Sir Billy Connolly where he takes the piss out of an Army Recruitment ad of the time.

"My name's Bob and I'm a born leader! I earn £40 a week! You can buy farsands of smarties for £40".

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    It's going to the lowest bidder. And then to the next lowest bidder, to fix some of the mistakes from the first time. And then the next lowest...well, you get the idea.
    Agreed. I've been in some discussions with major UK financial institutions over the last few years about some projects and have put bids in, come back with it's too expensive and they've gone with the other supplier. The other supplier(s) have now come back to us as they don't have the necessary technological know-how and are having serious problems

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    It's even more "Smarties", Bob.
    Bob??? wtf?

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Why? It has nothing to do with IR35.
    Yet

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    Can we move this thread to the IR35 forum
    Why? It has nothing to do with IR35.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Can we move this thread to the IR35 forum

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    I haven't got access to the latest year's Gartner figures but alongside professional services, banks and other financial services companies spent the highest percentage of revenue on IT amongst 20 odd sectors globally only a few years ago.

You have to wonder where all that money is going for there to continually be so many outages for critical systems. I assume a lot of the spend is driven by regulation but even so, spending 50% more than any other sector makes me think banks have been using too many expensive contractors....
    It's going to the lowest bidder. And then to the next lowest bidder, to fix some of the mistakes from the first time. And then the next lowest...well, you get the idea.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Most of the worst failures seem to happen in retail banking (where they outsource and use poorly paid permies), not investment banking (with the expensive contractors).
    Retail banking failures are the ones that affect ordinary consumers and the public in large numbers. I guess there are investment banking failures, we just never get to hear much about them in the media?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    You have to wonder where all that money is going for there to continually be so many outages for critical systems. I assume a lot of the spend is driven by regulation but even so, spending 50% more than any other sector makes me think banks have been using too many expensive contractors....
    The expensive contractors have long gone. Its all off-shored or near-shored now.

Banks just don't !"get" the value of IT.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X