• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scotland bans smacking"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Two issues with smacking. Firstly it teaches violence is okay. Secondly it is not effective - there are far better solutions. Attention deprivation is usually best.
    I can think of a third. One day, your child will be a 6-foot lump, and you'll be a 70-year-old semi-crippled old git. You'd better hope he shows more restraint than you did...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Two issues with smacking. Firstly it teaches violence is okay. Secondly it is not effective - there are far better solutions. Attention deprivation is usually best.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Never had to smack any child. 2 days locked in the garden shed with strobe lights and white noise for any minor transgression usually makes them fully compliant by the age of 4.

That's a joke before anyone calls the authorities. And the beating comment was not literal as well, I can distinguish between smacking and beating. Wouldn't ever consider smacking.

Smacking isn't the point here, what this really is about is the SNP not having very much to do other than have that fat tumchie get 2 questions every Wednesday at PMQs. So they make up laws that whilst you disagree with on a libertarian level you wouldn't really want to advocate for the right to continue doing what they are saying you can no longer do. Win for them.

The SNP have poor form in law making on the family. The named person legislation was an abomination. All credit to the Christian institute who got it to supreme court to stop it. Oddly you don't hear much about "Nicola Sturgeon broke the law" when she gets her execute actions overturned.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Yeah, smacking is beating.
    Not according to English law. It's not assault either.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Abusing children is as you say, criminalised. Why should there be a special defence against an assault charge, when the victim is a child? They should have more protection, not less, regardless of cultural norms around assaulting children.
    The withered vine speaks

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    The Scottish nationalist party follow most classical European nationalist parties in that their leaders do not have children.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I agree. Anyone who isn't capable of bringing up a child without beating them shouldn't be having children in the first place. And if you don't want your kids climbing the walls, not pumping them full of sugary food & drink would be a useful place to start.
    Yeah, smacking is beating.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I can't think of any legitimate reason to assault another person, regardless of their age.
    Oh, I can think of one or two...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The lawful correction defence against assault used to apply to men hitting wives and servants, but latterly just to children.

That children should have less legal protection than adults is very odd IMO.

Removing the defence if lawful correction would not criminalise a snack to stop a child running out on front of a car, where the intent is to protect the child rather than punish them. In that case, a defence of necessity could be applied. IANAL etc.
    I agree. Anyone who isn't capable of bringing up a child without beating them shouldn't be having children in the first place. And if you don't want your kids climbing the walls, not pumping them full of sugary food & drink would be a useful place to start.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Whilst I don't approve of smacking it should be the parent's decision and Government should leave well alone. On a very few occasions it's been unavoidable in my opinion and I smacked my kids (who are now a grown up 32, 30 and 24) even though I always said I'd never smack them. Until you've had thirty sleepless nights on the trot managing a newborn whilst your other two are going hammer and tongs you've got no idea. Plus all the holier than thou brigade get my goat. No way should it be criminalised. There's child abuse legislation in place already.
    Abusing children is as you say, criminalised. Why should there be a special defence against an assault charge, when the victim is a child? They should have more protection, not less, regardless of cultural norms around assaulting children.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Whilst I don't approve of smacking it should be the parent's decision and Government should leave well alone. On a very few occasions it's been unavoidable in my opinion and I smacked my kids (who are now a grown up 32, 30 and 24) even though I always said I'd never smack them. Until you've had thirty sleepless nights on the trot managing a newborn whilst your other two are going hammer and tongs you've got no idea. Plus all the holier than thou brigade get my goat. No way should it be criminalised. There's child abuse legislation in place already.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Racist!
    I prefer to be called ignorant and uneducated.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Racist!
    Eh? Weegies aren't even human, never mind a race!

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Scotland would do better to tackle its drug and drink issues. The estates where unemployment is the norm, violence, gingers and shouty people.

Bitey effin insects are annoying as **** to, they need to sort that.

White pudding they need to sort that out.
    Square Sausage Ftw!

Natural selection will sort the Neds out.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Scotland would do better to tackle its drug and drink issues. The estates where unemployment is the norm, violence, gingers and shouty people.

Bitey effin insects are annoying as **** to, they need to sort that.

White pudding they need to sort that out.
    Racist!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X