• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who likes Road Charging then?"

Collapse

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    I would like to point out that all my posts on this thread are tongue-in-cheek. It's a boring morning.
    And anyway, who cares about road charging? We are contractors after all, so I imagine everybody use helicopters (http://www.hurtwood.demon.co.uk/Fun/copter.swf)

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I would like to point out that all my posts on this thread are tongue-in-cheek. It's a boring morning.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    It is what is done the money that we should worry about. My view is that the money will be spent on creating more non jobs for cronies of the state who will in turn spend their ill gotten gains on taking long haul flights to holiday destinations.
    Au contraire, DA, it will be used to pay the pensions of Britain's hard-working local council staff.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru
    That's paying for the damage you're doing to the environment. You should also pay for the damage you do to the roads.
    It is what is done the money that we should worry about. My view is that the money will be spent on creating more non jobs for cronies of the state who will in turn spend their ill gotten gains on taking long haul flights to holiday destinations.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    Yes you should. It will help you pay your increased council tax if your property has scenic views from every window...

Do you also have a conservatory?

Yep, and an observatory as well as attached recording studio

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by ratewhore
    E/ Set pseudo-targets for everything.

Apparently the government target for recycling is for collection, not for disposal and also apparently, 90% of the glass collected through recycling ends up in a landfill in China.

Of course, I have no link for this, it's just rumour and conjecture...

According to Radio 4 it was on the department of the environment's webtulipe, now removed.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    E/ Set pseudo-targets for everything.

Apparently the government target for recycling is for collection, not for disposal and also apparently, 90% of the glass collected through recycling ends up in a landfill in China.

Of course, I have no link for this, it's just rumour and conjecture...

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I'm all for a cleaner environment, but let's

A/ Encourage alternatives to commuting e.g. home working

B/ Make a decent low cost rail network

C/ Move away from fossil fuels

D/ Build new toll roads

The government and local government has a wankfest vision of a UK where we all cycle to work wearing our red star caps and uniforms.
    Look Bagpuss, just pay your fooking green taxes and leave the rest to me.

Gordon Brown.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus
    Haven't you heard Bagpuss, if you put taxes up the world will be saved from ecological disaster.
    I'm all for a cleaner environment, but let's

A/ Encourage alternatives to commuting e.g. home working

B/ Make a decent low cost rail network

C/ Move away from fossil fuels

D/ Build new toll roads

The government and local government has a wankfest vision of a UK where we all cycle to work wearing our red star caps and uniforms.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Haven't you heard Bagpuss, if you put taxes up the world will be saved from ecological disaster.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead
    I work from home,
    Tesco delivers the necessities
    Short walk to the pub
    Scenic views from every window

Should I get a road tax rebate then for minimal use?

Yes you should. It will help you pay your increased council tax if your property has scenic views from every window...

Do you also have a conservatory?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
    And what about joggers? They run a lot and wear road surfaces! Let's use their step-o-meters to calculate how much tax they'll have to pay!
    The main crux of the charging is to be motorways. As someone who does 20k miles a year all over the UK, I can tell you that the motorways are no worse than 10 years ago, pretty much the same for the A roads. The major problem is the the roads in the towns and cities. So why are they concentrating on the motorways, mmmmmmmm, it couldn't be money raising exercise could it?

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Road charging should only be for new toll roads. You have a choice, you pay to avoid the jam or you don't.

It should not be brought in to charge people for necessary journeys. WHat is the option , not to go to work?

Oh yes, they want us to use public transport, the same public transport that we were being told, just a week or so ago, has to put up prices to reduce overcrowding. They need to price us off the trains!

and price us off the roads! LMFAO

You couldn't make it up.

Maybe we should all sign on the social
    And what about joggers? They run a lot and wear road surfaces! Let's use their step-o-meters to calculate how much tax they'll have to pay!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Road charging should only be for new toll roads. You have a choice, you pay to avoid the jam or you don't.

It should not be brought in to charge people for necessary journeys. WHat is the option , not to go to work?

Oh yes, they want us to use public transport, the same public transport that we were being told, just a week or so ago, has to put up prices to reduce overcrowding. They need to price us off the trains!

and price us off the roads! LMFAO

You couldn't make it up.

Maybe we should all sign on the social

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Anyway, they've got it all wrong. The charge should fall the further you travel - £5 a mile for journeys up to 5 miles down to 1p a mile for journeys over 150 miles. Gets all those ninnies on the school run out of the way while us long-distance captains of industry can continue uninterrupted

Leave a comment:

Working...
X