• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What is appropriate to fear on a plane?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Whatever happened to him? Did his Russian bird murder him and bury the evidence?

I think he was eaten by squirrels, there is a rumour his wife moved to a kebab shop in Brum.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    My son's an air traffic controller. Aging air traffic technology is what you need to worry about.

A friend who's a retired 747 pilot always says that take-offs are more dangerous because there's not enough altitude. Landings are much safer because the one thing you can be sure about is coming down!

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    I used to get terrified flying in the Middle East when all the Arabs would be yabbering into their mobiles whilst hurtling down the runway.

Seems all those fears were unfounded, after all.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Egypt Air to Luxor/ from Cairo. Been there, done that!
    I did the reverse (to Cairo, from Luxor). (One or three beers would have been nice)...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    RogerRabbit left the forum and Rolls Royce employ experts.
    Whatever happened to him? Did his Russian bird murder him and bury the evidence?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    What makes you think this is not already my client?

Roger Rabbit left the forum and Rolls Royce employ experts.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Little bit dramatic, eh Scooter, given that the engine is designed and tested specifically to contain blade failures? Stating it like that as a fact implies that's what happens when they fail, which isn't really true now.

spooter talking crap? Shocked! I'm shocked I tell you!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Talk about first world problems. You need to sip rather than guzzle

What about being on an airline that doesn't serve alcohol at all? For 6 bloody hours...
    Egypt Air to Luxor/ from Cairo. Been there, done that!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Bed bugs in first/business aren't pleasant

Running out of champagne

Talk about first world problems. You need to sip rather than guzzle

What about being on an airline that doesn't serve alcohol at all? For 6 bloody hours...

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    More bulltulip.

Admit it, you've been caught out again.

What makes you think that others on here haven't worked in those industries and know enough to detect your crap!
    My invoices. If there were than the handful that do this detective work (we actually know each other) throughout the EU would be out of a job.

I don't chase clients, clients come to us

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    This is a first for me, go easy..but im going to ask Scoots to expand on his answer. Which airlines?

God, i feel so dirty.
    Funny you should mentioned dirt. Anyway I'm bound by an NDA.

Suffice to say, far east companies.... my god. How they don't go down more often is a testament to the engineering.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Little bit dramatic, eh Scooter, given that the engine is designed and tested specifically to contain blade failures? Stating it like that as a fact implies that's what happens when they fail, which isn't really true now.
    Incorrect. Fan blades are a requirement to be contained. High pressure compressor blades or the disc (the part that secures the HPT blades), when that cracks and particles are released, nothing it stopping it. Nothing. Way too much energy for a passive barrier to contain.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Will sometimes I've working with power companies who use gas turbines for power generation and other in aircraft. HPCB was what I meant in my original waffel.
    More bulltulip.

Admit it, you've been caught out again.

What makes you think that others on here haven't worked in those industries and know enough to detect your crap!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Popper would have been onto something if he had talked about turbine blades rather than compressor blades.

I once worked on GANDALF. General Algorithm for the Numerical Determination of Aerofoil Life and Fatigue.

Will sometimes I've working with power companies who use gas turbines for power generation and other in aircraft. HPCB was what I meant in my original waffel.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    You should have a chat with GE and RR, see what they make of your fairy tale.
    What makes you think this is not already my client?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X