• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Acounting software

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Acounting software"

Collapse

• cojak
    replied
    Doin' well Girl.

I'm ticking off the days until the end of this contract - it's driving me up the wall.

I'm using the Payroll 2006 version ('Pro'?).

Have a word with your accountant - they should be able to recommend a package. Mine put me onto QB , set up my company on it for me and taught me how to use it ("all part of the service").

I wasn't happy not having control of my accounts and this is a piece of cake, even the VAT.

I email my database a few times a year and they check that I'm doing it correctly.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    btw - which version of Quickbooks did you use?? some versions has good reviews others have bad ones?

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Thanks cojak how are you doing??

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I use Sage Instant v12.

There is a guy (whos also an accountant) selling for £80+VAT on ebay inc del. They are genuine copies, delivered straight from SAGE, sealed etc.

A few bits along the way puzzled me but its well work it.

Very nice software IMHO, probably overkill for a contractor but I'm also hoping that plan B gets going more so nice to be prepared.

Leave a comment:

• Craig_B
    replied
    Hi,

I use quickbooks, does everything I need. VAT is two clicks.

Craig.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yep - VAT is very straightforward.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I haven't used it for over 10 years, but back then Quicken wasn't suitable for my business needs (something to do with VAT, I can't remember now).

QuickBooks was fine.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yep - I use QuickBooks and with the supplied manual it's very straight forward.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Search for Quicken in google. Used that years ago. Don't know what it's like now ...

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    n5gooner, I've been reading reviews of all accounting software on :

http://www.reviewcentre.com/products2030.html

and you are right most reviews says that Sage is not easy to use - not intuitive... however most other tools have bad reviews apart from a couple which I've never heard of and they are online (web-based) not sure this if they mean that they run on local webserver or do they require logging on a central server, if the latter then am not interested!!

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    I have been blessed with having a very good accountant, saved me loads of cash as he actually works for the IR, and does this as extra - any how I think its time for me to start learning more about my accounts the ins and outs... does anyone have an accounting software? the ones I saw were Sage and it was quite expensive. Am looking for something simple that I can update with regular P&L ? and hopefully automatically calculate the rest of the finanical statements?

Sandy, when I started my old company, we used Sage Acounting plus 100, and ran with it for about 7/8 years it was very good if your producing lots of invoices, in our case about 100 per month, it is however fairly tricky to learn. I now don't have that company and just produce about 10 invoices per month so I'm also looking for some software to manage that as well as my personal accounts........I would not use Sage as its far to complicated.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    started a topic Acounting software

Acounting software

I have been blessed with having a very good accountant, saved me loads of cash as he actually works for the IR, and does this as extra - any how I think its time for me to start learning more about my accounts the ins and outs... does anyone have an accounting software? the ones I saw were Sage and it was quite expensive. Am looking for something simple that I can update with regular P&L ? and hopefully automatically calculate the rest of the finanical statements?

Working...
X