• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Trusham, Devon - anyone know it? (Plan A)"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    But anyway, back to earlier comments:
    To keep the process as organic as possible, the use of things like bone meal fertiliser would work. In acidic soil (I'm hoping ph5-6), it's a good source of phosphorus and reasonable source of nitrogen. Finding a local source for bone meal would be great, it would be nice to get the DNA of the area into the produce, and maybe with a hand from a local pensioner, it would really make them part of the process.
    And you really think there's a future in this grave-robbing then?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Don't forget to account for all the meddling, interfering old busybodies who retire to that part of the world that I'm sure are rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of bunging a spanner in the works of whatever you have planned.
    Well, it appears there's no mobile phone signal in the area and accidents happen to old people. They might slip on a stone, or fall into a deep hole, etc.

But anyway, back to earlier comments:
    To keep the process as organic as possible, the use of things like bone meal fertiliser would work. In acidic soil (I'm hoping ph5-6), it's a good source of phosphorus and reasonable source of nitrogen. Finding a local source for bone meal would be great, it would be nice to get the DNA of the area into the produce, and maybe with a hand from a local pensioner, it would really make them part of the process.

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    : you might think so, I couldn’t possibly comment.
    Don't forget to account for all the meddling, interfering old busybodies who retire to that part of the world that I'm sure are rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of bunging a spanner in the works of whatever you have planned.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What's the plan then? An industrial scale cannabis farm?
    Nah, he is just looking for some soft sand to bury his head in.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    What's the plan then? An industrial scale cannabis farm?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    This is good too:

Soilscapes soil types viewer - National Soil Resources Institute. Cranfield University

Oh dear "Fertility: Very low!" on that Lower Tertiary purple patch
    Fertility isn't that big an issue, it's about acidy loam/clay soil, if possible over limestone, but over rock would do.

Based on your link, the absolute ideal is the yellow (Soilscape 3), followed by 13, then at a push 18, 17, 6 , 7, 5

3 Shallow lime-rich soils over chalk or limestone
    5 Freely draining lime-rich loamy soils
    6 Freely draining slightly acid loamy soils
    7 Freely draining slightly acid but base-rich soils
    13 Freely draining acid loamy soils over rock
    17 Slowly permeable seasonally wet acid loamy and clayey soils
    18 Slowly permeable seasonally wet slightly acid but base-rich loamy and clayey soils

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    This is good too:

Soilscapes soil types viewer - National Soil Resources Institute. Cranfield University

Oh dear "Fertility: Very low!" on that Lower Tertiary purple patch
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 14 November 2018, 17:41.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    What Who are you planning on growing burying?
    FTFY

According to this, it looks like a small area of lower tertiary sediments.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Trusham, Devon - anyone know it? (Plan A)

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    It would probably be easier to set up a cannabis farm. And I'm not joking.
    : you might think so, I couldn’t possibly comment.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    The place I was looking at has over 20 acres of land, I don’t really want more than about 5, so I was contemplating off-loading some (or putting a few holiday/workers cottages on it)
    It would probably be easier to set up a cannabis farm. And I'm not joking.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    I’ll have 20 acres of land. You dig?
    The 1960s called. They want their comment back.

Hopefully you will get a load of "travellers"(what would Zig call them?) on your land.....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
    You will not be able to be a CUK mod.
    Another benefit!

Can we crowd-fund your purchase so you can f00k off?
    Sure, that would be appreciated.

There are endless cycling events through there.
    I’ll have 20 acres of land. You dig?

And the locals shoot anyone who sings badly in the pub.
    No issue with that.

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    There is no internet access there. So you will not be able to be a CUK mod.

Can we crowd-fund your purchase so you can f00k off?

There are endless cycling events through there. And the locals shoot anyone who sings badly in the pub.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    The place I was looking at has over 20 acres of land, I don’t really want more than about 5, so I was contemplating off-loading some (or putting a few holiday/workers cottages on it)
    1:Turn it into a luxury caravan park

If the Council object

2: Turn it into a Travellers caravan Park

HTH

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I can't speak for the soil, but my brother lived a stones throw from there some years back, and the planning authority seemed to adopt an attitude of taking slightly longer than the life expectancy of the applicant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X