• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "General DOOM thread"

Collapse

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Okay should have said between 01 and 2011/12 - 90% during this time. I'd argue the value of gold is been pushed down since 2011/12 at the same time the FANG stocks have been pushed up almost 1000% with printed dollars. Gold is heavily undervalued at the minute and will probably sink further in the short term. Did you ken there's nearly 10 times as much paper gold in the derivatives market than there is actually physical gold?
    The hypothocation ratio is worse than that.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    Price of gold in 2003 was around $325/oz, today it is $1226/oz, so a 73% drop in value, not as bad as 90%

Gold Price Chart, Live Spot Gold Rates, Gold Price Per Ounce/Gram | BullionVault
    Okay should have said between 01 and 2011/12 - 90% during this time. I'd argue the value of gold is been pushed down since 2011/12 at the same time the FANG stocks have been pushed up almost 1000% with printed dollars. Gold is heavily undervalued at the minute and will probably sink further in the short term. Did you ken there's nearly 10 times as much paper gold in the derivatives market than there is actually physical gold?

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    In the last 15 years the dollar has lost 90% of its value against gold - you call that trust when the printing presses are burning that fast and furious? I call it theft.
    Price of gold in 2003 was around $325/oz, today it is $1226/oz, so a 73% drop in value, not as bad as 90%

Gold Price Chart, Live Spot Gold Rates, Gold Price Per Ounce/Gram | BullionVault

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    EN currencies looking bad because of US debt they've taken on. I could not use trust and US finance in the same sentence. In the last 15 years the dollar has lost 90% of its value against gold - you call that trust when the printing presses are burning that fast and furious? I call it theft.
    I didn't say it was moral, just observing. Most of that debt funded Asian growth, they are co-dependent.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    EN currencies looking bad because of US debt they've taken on. I could not use trust and US finance in the same sentence. In the last 15 years the dollar has lost 90% of its value against gold - you call that trust when the printing presses are burning that fast and furious? I call it theft.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    It is common knowledge UK debt is over £2 trillion, not a scrap on US levels. The pound will be around long after the dollar. Everyone thinks I'm barking suggesting the dollar is going to collapse out of existence. Yet the signs are everywhere.
    EM currencies look more vulnerable and Asian debt is eye-watering too. There's a lot more trust in US finance, just look at the capital outflows into the US if you don't believe me.

Just the least ugly in an ugly parade.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    It is common knowledge UK debt is over £2 trillion, not a scrap on US levels. The pound will be around long after the dollar. Everyone thinks I'm barking suggesting the dollar is going to collapse out of existence. Yet the signs are everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Cirrus
    replied
    The collapse will occur when it is generally realised the US has $70 trillion dollars worth of debt.
    I don't know the answer but I'd take a punt on the UK being worse than the US. (Yesterday we were second worst to Portugal although I can't imagine how they could have been even more useless than us...)

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Collapse won't happen until something like a big US bank collapses, Trump is impeached or a proper war starts somewhere.
    The collapse will occur when it is generally realised the US has $70 trillion dollars worth of debt.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Treasury spreads and (real) interest rates.

This baby goes down when the Sovereigns start crumbling, the Corporate debt will just grease the velocity.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Collapse won't happen until something like a big US bank collapses, Trump is impeached or a proper war starts somewhere.
    How about all 3 happening at the same time?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

A few billion vanishing due to a debt or private investors losing money won't affect the global economy.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    KUTITB

I've been saying this in my stock market crash thread for donkeys. The debt corporations are pilling upon themselves is bonkers. And rates will increase. Upon the moment consumers rain in their spending expect a wave of collapses. Then watch the housing market blow up like a fart in the wind.

Cheer up... new piece I'm practicing, Nuvole Bianche by the great Ludovico Einaudi, which is burning my remaining grey matter. But with a view of the sun setting over Austrian alps I really can't complain.

A picture I took the other night,

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    started a topic General DOOM thread

General DOOM thread

Over-leveraged companies face catastrophic spike in defaults, Moody's warns

Companies are piling on debt and making themselves vulnerable to the next economic downturn, Moody's has warned.

The credit ratings agency said that covenants on leveraged loans, which are designed to protect investors from firms defaulting, had weakened to their lowest level ever seen in Europe.

Covenants lay out limits on how much more debt a company can take on.

“A tight covenant structure is good for lenders. Because it inhibits the company from taking certain actions to the detriment of lenders. A loose covenant structure is generally credit negative,” said Peter Firth of Moody’s.

Over-leveraged companies face catastrophic spike in defaults, Moody's warns

--

Get ready for the collapse!

HTH

Father

Working...
X