• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Exercises for guitar"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    As long as you're all better than this guy:

i'm better than that, and i play drums

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    As long as you're all better than this guy:

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    If course it should be on the 5th
    The barred finger obviously

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    A shape on the 5th Shirley? For a meaty power chord that is...
    If course it should be on the 5th

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    No, not the choice position, but the shape.

On a guitar the chord shapes follow logical patterns. The logic behind a D is that it is actually a C shape barred at the 2nd fret. The easier way to play it is to mute the E & A strings and play the other 4.
    Understanding the logic & theory makes transposing and riffing easier. e.g. a beginners solo like Hotel California is based around the chord shapes, just knowing where on the fretboard to play them.

And transposing is very useful if your ban has saxes and keys in it

But to go back to your comment about a barred C, if you need to go from Eb to C#m, for example, then barring could be the best option.
    Sliding it up from the C with the rest of the strings open makes for a good 'Little Wing' as well.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Eh ??

So are you saying your first choice position (or even second choice) for a D would be a C shape barred at the 2nd fret ?
    No, not the choice position, but the shape.

On a guitar the chord shapes follow logical patterns. The logic behind a D is that it is actually a C shape barred at the 2nd fret. The easier way to play it is to mute the E & A strings and play the other 4.
    Understanding the logic & theory makes transposing and riffing easier. e.g. a beginners solo like Hotel California is based around the chord shapes, just knowing where on the fretboard to play them.

And transposing is very useful if your ban has saxes and keys in it

But to go back to your comment about a barred C, if you need to go from Eb to C#m, for example, then barring could be the best option.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Eh ??

So are you saying your first choice position (or even second choice) for a D would be a C shape barred at the 2nd fret ?
    A shape on the 5th Shirley? For a meaty power chord that is...

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    But there's really only 3 major shapes - C, E & G, that's the failing of CAGED.
    C barred on 2 is D
    G barred on 2 is A

But D & A are a lot easier to play than a barred C or G.
    As for G barred, no I'd never do it fully, but sometimes if you play an A6 shape (i.e. the four strings in a row), then finger up one on the high E takes you to A7 and finger up 2 further takes you to A(8), which is A but using a high note from the G shape.
    Eh ??

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Don't know the joke but this is how I started back in the 70's:

Is the fact that the crosses are in the wrong places deliberate ??
    If G is the third, then the tune is in Em

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    C barred on 2 is D
    G barred on 2 is A

As for G barred, no I'd never do it fully, but sometimes if you play an A6 shape (i.e. the four strings in a row), then finger up one on the high E takes you to A7 and finger up 2 further takes you to A(8), which is A but using a high note from the G shape.
    For chords that it. For (non-pentatonic) soloing the CAGED system comes in quite handy for knowing where you are and where you can go - as long as you don't get stuck into 'boxes'.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied

Is the fact that the crosses are in the wrong places deliberate ??

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    When I got lessons, back in the early 70's (so obviously pre internet) my teacher constantly tried to teach Eb chords using an open D slid up a fret and barred. When you're 7 years old and playing a classical guitar with the action of a cheese grater, that's nigh on impossible. Years later, I kinda 'discovered' CAGED without knowing it had a name, and it filled in a lot of holes.
    C barred on 2 is D
    G barred on 2 is A

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    in an empty venue

You must know the old 3 chords to 1000 people and 1000 chords to 3 people gag

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Dude, being this offensive takes training and practice......

Talking of which, how are you, ya baldy c**t ?

You were sadly missed at the Bute 10K this year. The bloke dressed as a clown carrying the two buckets of coins reckoned he'd probably be last cause you weren't there :-)
    You carried 2 buckets of coins round an island full of pissed up weedgies? Very brave. I noticed they'd moved the race 2 weeks earlier in the year, so my training calendar was completely upset - there's no way i'd have got up to a whole evenings JD and coke drinking in the available time

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Bloody hell. I'd always assumed you were just born that way.
    Dude, being this offensive takes training and practice......

Talking of which, how are you, ya baldy c**t ?

You were sadly missed at the Bute 10K this year. The bloke dressed as a clown carrying the two buckets of coins reckoned he'd probably be last cause you weren't there :-)
    Last edited by TestMangler; 18 September 2018, 10:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X