• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giant now need petrol and food receipts :("

Collapse

• realityhack
    replied
    Please, please, please have nothing to do with them as soon as possible. Go Ltd, be free.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi
    Orangegenie have an xls spreadsheet that works out the value of the receipt needed to cover the mileage I claim.

I claim 280 miles per week and their sheet says I need a receipt for £34, now I drive a rather thirsty 2 litre Civic type-R and struggle to get through that much fuel in week and often have to put my foot down more than usual to get the value of the receipt up!

With their calculation I need to keep under 31.8 mpg which is difficult enough on a motorway journey in my car so anyone with a more economical car will really struggle.

Who comes up with these figures?... I'm sure Gordon will make it easier for me sometime soon!
    A mileage log is fine on its own, receipts are only needed for a company to reclaim VAT, this will be an extra revenue stream for umbrellas/composites as they will keep this reclaimed VAT, or claims it helps keep their costs down etc!

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi

With their calculation I need to keep under 31.8 mpg which is difficult enough on a motorway journey in my car so anyone with a more economical car will really struggle.
    wanna swap? - mines never over 25mpg

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Orangegenie have an xls spreadsheet that works out the value of the receipt needed to cover the mileage I claim.

I claim 280 miles per week and their sheet says I need a receipt for £34, now I drive a rather thirsty 2 litre Civic type-R and struggle to get through that much fuel in week and often have to put my foot down more than usual to get the value of the receipt up!

Who comes up with these figures?... I'm sure Gordon will make it easier for me sometime soon!
    Last edited by gingerjedi; 18 December 2006, 15:52.

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Afaik the MOT mileage record is voluntary. I know the one on the tax disc is.
    It's compulsary on the MOT.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet

The MOT milage is recorded by the testing station and reported along with the fact of the test taking place. Unless your using some dodgy backstreet operator who knocks out test certificates for a tenner and no questions asked.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy
    In order to claim expenses you need to prove that you have actually spent that amount. Receipts of course are just such evidence, but there are other forms of evidence you can use such as mileage logs (the Revenue can cross check these against MOT records)

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by dmini
    If you are on flat rate VAT, you don't need the receipts - as you aren't claiming the VAT element of the 40p/mile back - logs are still a very good idea.
    If you are NOT flat rate VAT, then there is an element of the 40p that is VAT related & so claimed back from HMRC, in the measure of a few pence / mile, and this you DO need receipts for, as far as I understand it. Exact figures - talk to your accountant! They should have told you this in January this year - that is when the additional receipts were required by both Parasol & Contractorumbrella
    Simon / Darren etc - come on and add your bit - this is YOUR area of expertise!!!
    In order to claim expenses you need to prove that you have actually spent that amount. Receipts of course are just such evidence, but there are other forms of evidence you can use such as mileage logs (the Revenue can cross check these against MOT records)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    I do a job where it is virtually impossible for me to work from home.

I have never in 25 years billed anything other than an hour sat on one of my clients' seats.

tim

I'm not doubting that everything you have said is true but can you *prove* that to the nice men from HMRC? There is no presumption of innocence in a tax investiagtion. You have to prove that you did everything right. Keeping receipts and a milage log is the easiest way of providing evidence to support your case.

As a permie you wouldn't be able to claim a milage allowance without telling your employer where you went, when, and how far it was; and you wouldn't get the petrol costs back for a company hire car without a receipt. HMRC will treat it in exactly the same way.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Supporting evidence. Just because your time sheet has been signed doesnt mean you didnt work from home on a particular day or days. Or does your client tell you where you have to work each day and for how long?

If you are claiming milage then you really should be keeping a log of business journeys made including milage and keep the receipts as backup. It's minimal effort and gives the IR one less excuse to go digging.
    I do a job where it is virtually impossible for me to work from home.

I have never in 25 years billed anything other than an hour sat on one of my clients' seats.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Giant will want the receipts so that they can reclaim the VAT on the mileage!

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    If you are on flat rate VAT, you don't need the receipts - as you aren't claiming the VAT element of the 40p/mile back - logs are still a very good idea.
    If you are NOT flat rate VAT, then there is an element of the 40p that is VAT related & so claimed back from HMRC, in the measure of a few pence / mile, and this you DO need receipts for, as far as I understand it. Exact figures - talk to your accountant! They should have told you this in January this year - that is when the additional receipts were required by both Parasol & Contractorumbrella
    Simon / Darren etc - come on and add your bit - this is YOUR area of expertise!!!

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by tim123
    I'm a real company amd I don't save petrol receipts.

I have proof that I did the journey (a signed timesheet), I claim the fixed mileage and I don't claim the VAT back, why should I keep the receipt?

tim
    Supporting evidence. Just because your time sheet has been signed doesnt mean you didnt work from home on a particular day or days. Or does your client tell you where you have to work each day and for how long?

If you are claiming milage then you really should be keeping a log of business journeys made including milage and keep the receipts as backup. It's minimal effort and gives the IR one less excuse to go digging.
    Last edited by DaveB; 18 December 2006, 11:21. Reason: speelinge adn the grommar

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    I'm a real company amd I don't save petrol receipts.

I have proof that I did the journey (a signed timesheet), I claim the fixed mileage and I don't claim the VAT back, why should I keep the receipt?

tim

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Are umbrellas worth the bother?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X