• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: What do you do?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What do you do?"

Collapse

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
    I solve problems and make new ones. I take other peoples' ideas, and I mince them in a blender. From the maelstrom, I pluck an idea and plant it in freshly made dung. With care and sunlight, the idea grows into an ideology, and a new bowel movement is bourne. It's a life and death struggle on the very edge of insanity.
    You missed out running a few ideas up the flagpole to see what flutters in the breeze....

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Does Coral still exist?
    Yikes, it does.

http://www.swep-eds.com/CORAL/CORAL%20Page.htm

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by TheOmegaMan
    I solve problems and make new ones. I take other peoples' ideas, and I mince them in a blender. From the maelstrom, I pluck an idea and plant it in freshly made dung. With care and sunlight, the idea grows into an ideology, and a new bowel movement is bourne. It's a life and death struggle on the very edge of insanity.
    Wow! Barkeep, I'll have a pint of whatever Omega's drinking!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Janitor.

Chico.

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Xenophon
    Project management; portfolio management; programme management; change management... basically any two bullsh1t words that help me get a good rate.
    And as I've said before: 'build management'. The numptiest (engineering) job on the planet. But it has the word manager in it to make it sound really important to the dumbo who takes it. Most only get caught once (though some people take the job knowing what to expect).

tim

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    I remember 3M came up with that idea 30 years ago... I suspect it was bulltulip then... and...
    Yeah,

Nortel had this little story that you could remain an engineer and get the same salary as a manager.

And then they had a policy of all managers got cars and engineers didn't (when having a company car was really worthwhile).

tim

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Project management; portfolio management; programme management; change management... basically any two bullsh1t words that help me get a good rate.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Is that ADA stuff and how did you wrestle the contracts from bearded unix types....or are you a bearded unix type.

Yep mostly ADA stuff. No I've no beard but have done a little unix and lots of VAX/VMS.

Wendigo, don't know of any curent coral systems, but that was my first 'language'.

On the subject of architects, I've only known one and he was a right tosser.
    IMHO there's been no decent architects since the victorians.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Similar sorts of salaries offered for a lot of engineering jobs... basically crap.

No wonder all the kiddies are doing media studies... you still get a crap job stacking shelves in Tescos, but the course is easier.
    We've implemented a forked path with regard to salaries. You don't have to be a manager to get paid a decent salary.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Takes 7 years to become an architect...
    Aye Zeity, me Dad was one. His training interrupted by Mr. Hilter, he was over 30 before he got his full qualifications.

Back in the mid 90s, I was browsing one of his archtect's magazines, and I wouldn't have got out of bed for some of the salaries being offered in the jobs section. Meanwhile, in the rest of the world, they get good dosh.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn
    It's amazing how your earning potential changes when you change your title from trainee programmer to senior enterprise architect.

Surely you know that job titles are handed out in lieu of remuneration.

No fecker cares what your last job title was

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    The Sainted Margaret contributed by junking all the Industry Training Boards back in the 80s...
    Then it became train to be a brickie on the dole in what, 6 weeks?

Pah! One of my mates had a brother who did a proper brickies' apprencticeship of several years.

And on the subject of architects, their training takes a long time, but typical salaries are crap unless they hit the big time.

Oh, to keep on topic, sysadmin, disaster recovery, disaster tolerance, monitoring tools blah blah, and the enjoyable task of beating Oracle DBAs over the head every now and then.
    Last edited by Sysman; 15 December 2006, 16:33.

Leave a comment:

• wantacontract
    replied
    kkk

IT INfrastructure PM....but thinking of starting a business importing stuff from China and my uncle to sell in UK..

anybody interested in futons....!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X