• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Commuting distance

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Commuting distance"

Collapse

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Hate commuting so much that i moved into london it's self 10 years ago. Now max i will do is 45 mins, average is 20 mins, current contract (and previous) is either a 15 min walk or 10 mins by public transport

Leave a comment:

• mrdavies
    replied
    when southwest trains aren't all fkced up my journey take 1 hour 30 door to canary wharf door.. when they play up I get very very upset and wonder what the hell I am doing

this past week has been most pleasant however...

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I'm doing a 100 mile round trip five days a week and its tulip ! I can do it in an hour on a good day but lots of longer trips as I dice with the M6/M62 nightmare and probably nearer 3 hrs total each day. I wouldn't tackle much more than that but its better than Travel Lodge tedium just about.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    My current contract is roughly 85 miles from home (170 mile round trip). I currently stay down there on a monday night, work from home wednesday and friday and do the round trip on a thursday. Every so often I have to be there more days a week - next week I am down there all week.

The driving is a pain - especially now in the winter as I am using dark country lanes. In the summer it was fine - top down and cruising home!! If I can get away at a reasonable time I am home by 7.30pm which is OK but I cant do early morning starts! I have found it tiring for the past 10 months - especially with a newborn who isn't sleeping through the nights yet.....!!

Bottom line - if you need to be at home every night avoid a long commute, otherwise stay away from home a few nights.

Leave a comment:

• premiere
    replied
    Currently travel by train into central london...total journey time from when I leave home to when I get to site is 1 hour 30 and I only live 35 miles from london

Still, at least I am home in the evening.

I never work far enough away where I can't go home at night.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    About an hour each way for this gig. This is my last day, next contract working from home.

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    I'm between 146 & 160 miles from home (depends which route)
    I do a weekly commute - rented a room in a house for the duration. Go home for weekends & see my family. Run up phone bills during the week,but...
    So far - so good. 3 month contract and we've all survived the first month

Leave a comment:

• PerlOfWisdom
    replied
    3 hours per day by train. Sleep all the way there, read all the way back.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by XLMonkey
    Commuting is the disease of 21st century living. Home broadband is the cure.
    Home broadband, along with an attitude transplant amongst most employers to make them less paranoid about lazy home workers, is the cure.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The pain barrier begins around about 1 hour one way. A half-an-hour to 45 minute commute one way is fine, you can do that indefinitely.

I did 120 km on daily basis which took me 1 hour 20 mins with the "wind behind" but after a few months it grinds you down.

One job entailed a 40 min drive and I found that quite pleasant.

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by stackpole
    Three days each way to my lab on the moon. I drive.

threaded
    ROFLMAO

Leave a comment:

• XLMonkey
    replied
    currently doing 60 miles each way into London (takes on average 1h40, but has been 3). It's too much, in my opinion. However, I make sure that I'm only in the office 3 days a week and work from home Mondays and Fridays, which makes it OK.

Commuting is the disease of 21st century living. Home broadband is the cure.

Leave a comment:

• lordlummee
    replied
    240 mile round trip

Mad

I endured a 220 mile round trip for a year (by train) to London. It nearly killed / bankrupted me and took well over 4 hours a day out of my life .

I now have a 100 mile round trip which is on my doorstep in comparison .

Leave a comment:

• stackpole
    replied
    Three days each way to my lab on the moon. I drive.

threaded

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by BillHicksRIP
    the slightest loss of concentration might result in your death and others every day is not my idea of fun.
    It is my idea of fun. Only 5 months until I can go back to the Nurbrugring.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X