• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: London (yet again)

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London (yet again)"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Hey the market must be pretty bouyant, agents keep popping out the wood-work with £600 a day contracts.

Still not sure though, with those 11 hour days, windowless offices etc.

Leave a comment:

• Swamp Thing
    replied
    I'm thinking about Brussels, just for a change of scenery (but I can only stand the place for 3 months).

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope
    Don't do it! Or rather before you do it, factor in:

* Increased working hours (if you're on a daily rate) having to work 10-11 hours instead of 8-9 suddenly makes the effective hourly rate look a lot less.

* Tax - at least 10-15 percentage points more

* Commuting - you need a hefty premium for having to suffer at the hands of Southwest trains, northern line, etc.

* Accommodation - there's more choice but it's more expensive.

Sure the gross daily rates look rather attractive, but the net difference is miniscule.
    Yup that's kinda what puts me off. Just got an offer of an interview but it sounds like "stress city". I haven't yet pushed the confirm button on the Easy Jet flight booking, and now the agent wants a "confirmation". still might go to have a look.

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    Mate has just scored a contract at Heathrow, 800/day + expenses and friday working from home - oop north. Have to be tempted for that !
    Isn't that where BT live on that sh*tty business park. I would rather stick an apple up my backside than work there. Grim isn't the word, sh*t is though.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Hitman for the Kremlin. he succeeded in his first trial task ...

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg
    Mate has just scored a contract at Heathrow, 800/day + expenses and friday working from home - oop north. Have to be tempted for that !
    doing what? for whom?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    Don't do it! Or rather before you do it, factor in:

* Increased working hours (if you're on a daily rate) having to work 10-11 hours instead of 8-9 suddenly makes the effective hourly rate look a lot less.

* Tax - at least 10-15 percentage points more

* Commuting - you need a hefty premium for having to suffer at the hands of Southwest trains, northern line, etc.

* Accommodation - there's more choice but it's more expensive.

Sure the gross daily rates look rather attractive, but the net difference is miniscule.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Can't be that bad then .

Leave a comment:

• Hart-floot
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Well its that time of year again, Yuletide, contract renewals etc, and time to ask the question, whether that better paid contract in London would be a good move, particularly when you get inundated with unsolicited calls.

Any views.

How's London, compared to Zurich, for example ?
    These days London, well at least the City where i work, is full of Swiss & German's on the make (and take!) So you'll feel quite at home lol

Even heard it described as Zurich-on-Thames now that most of the asset management and dodgy no questions asked transactions of the worlds super-rich are done in London.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    helps if you speak Russian

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    started a topic London (yet again)

London (yet again)

Well its that time of year again, Yuletide, contract renewals etc, and time to ask the question, whether that better paid contract in London would be a good move, particularly when you get inundated with unsolicited calls.

Any views.

How's London, compared to Zurich, for example ?

Working...
X