• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Accountant not very collaborative?"

Collapse

• Scruff
    replied
    Typical Accountant services for Contractor Limited Companies, are really just Bookkeeping services. The basics as to what can, and cannot be claimed are covered by the "Wholly and exclusively" guidance. If you need it to run your business, and there is no personal use (other than laptops / mobile phones / tablets for "occasional use") then you can claim it, using the guidelines issues by HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Your posting history suggests you've been contracting for nearly 8 months now so not so new I'd say.
    I've been on and off so 8 months, not realistic.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Inneresting...
    I'll give you 10 free guesses and you still won't get it right.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Inneresting...
    Inneresting...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Skag View Post

You're very helpful, thanks!
    I'm new to contracting btw so I'm finding my steps..
    Inneresting...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Your posting history suggests you've been contracting for nearly 8 months now so not so new I'd say.

You'd think after 31 posts you'd know better than to post in General by now as well

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you are concerned about what you can and can't expense you'd do well to search on here first using the google method. I think we've just about had everything and too prove it here is one mentioning expensing swingers parties.

Just change the keyword to suit what you are asking. A general rule of thumb is it has to be wholly and exclusively for business but there are exceptions.

Type the following (or similar in to google)

swingers party expenses site:forums.contractoruk.com

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ght-murky.html

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    In that you feel because you have paid these guys to do your accounts you now feel they should be available 24/7 to answer all your questions - not matter how pointless?
    Who said 24/7?
    Maybe more like answer my email once a month.

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post
    And for future reference may be better to pay monthly by Direct Debit rather than all upfront.
    I would definitely go for that in the future. It was a rushed decision anyway.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look at all these first.
    I think, in any case, I pay them some money for their services, I should get support. Simple as that.

Tool's Intuit Quickbooks.
    There is often a perception issue about what an accountant does, which is why it's very important to read your engagement documentation carefully. Many people expect accountants to be proactive and be there to help them run their company. They think the accountant should be trawling their accountants and advising about claiming this and that. The reality is these sausage factory set ups rely on the online portals so you actually do the data entry and they check it and that's about it. How much time would you spend on a clients work for £1200 a year? 24 hours over a period of a year? It's not a lot is it.

They are a tool for you to use at best. You have to run your own company and know how the finances work. You are the one that ultimately signs off the accounts, the accountant only prepares them for you.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    You pay them to be your accountant.

Not your personal tax advisor - which is slightly different.

Also you should as a business owner have a good idea of what is extensible and what is not

Can you assure us you are not like a yappy puppy?

In that you feel because you have paid these guys to do your accounts you now feel they should be available 24/7 to answer all your questions - not matter how pointless?

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    And for future reference may be better to pay monthly by Direct Debit rather than all upfront.

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll look at all these first.
    I think, in any case, I pay them some money for their services, I should get support. Simple as that.

Tool's Intuit Quickbooks.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Did they have an SLA for responses in their engagement document? What does their engagement documentation say about leaving. Is there a grace period? How much notice do you need to give. Read their documentatuon thoroughly.

Is the tool Freeagent or their own portal.

Are your questions really basic and should you be doing a bit of research? Can I expense this for example. It's pretty clear cut what you can and can't for most things. Even if they are basic the accountant should answer in SLA but you might not helping yourself by sending too many basic mails?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 22 May 2018, 09:10.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X