• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sports personality of the year"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    I would have voted for Tweddle, but I would not be seen voting in such low-brow, plebian affairs.

Did anybody on here actually vote?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    No his true colours are coming out now, his relatives we obviously forlock tuggers

They did'nt bother with the forelock

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by white-anglo-reactionary

There was no success in the international soccer/rugby/cricket arena this year (and it goes without saying that the only contenders could be English teams)
    So no change there then!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Oh, I see. It's a "noble" sport. Bring back that Corinthian spirit. I thought you believed in merit over privilege, DA.
    No his true colours are coming out now, his relatives we obviously forlock tuggers

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Oh, I see. It's a "noble" sport. Bring back that Corinthian spirit. I thought you believed in merit over privilege, DA.

That is not what I said.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    You don't have to be rich to compete. The basic business model of an eventing yard is - owner buys horse and pays rider a weekly/monthly fee to look after it, train and compete it. The rider may own a small share in the horse but they don't usually own it outright(a top horse would be £50k+). They also make money by buying young horses, training them up and selling on.
    Even the really big boys would get paid a lot less than some of us and its very hard work to boot.

Leave a comment:

• white-anglo-reactionary
    replied
    This is a noble sport for noble people

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    The very fact that eventing is not financially rewarding gives it a certain integrity that does not apply to many other sports.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    But you don't need a horse to win. There are more boxing fans in this country though , anyday!
    Pointless argument, like saying a boxer doesnt need to hit his opponent to win - Although with some of the "fights" that have happened that's debateable.

Riding the horse *is* the sport. And if there are more boxing fans in the country why didnt they vote for the boxer? I'm assuming you did actually vote.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    But you don't need a horse to win. There are more boxing fans in this country though , anyday!

Thank god for that. One certainly doe not want eventing to appeal to the masses does one? I am afraid Bagpuss it is down to personal prferences as to what appeals. So stop moaning, your plebby little yobs sport lost so live with it.

Leave a comment:

• where did my id go?
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    The very fact that eventing is not financially rewarding gives it a certain integrity that does not apply to many other sports.

And stops all those nasty plebs taking part.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    You mean like boxing? Pay per view only, limited appeal and riddled with corruption.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Minority team sport that no-one watches,
    You mean like boxing? Pay per view only, limited appeal and riddled with corruption.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Minority team sport that no-one watches, voted for by the blue rinse brigade. Never mind the UK having two fighters rated top ten in the world, and Joe C beating supposedly the best fighter at his weight. He was robbed.

and where exactly are the hoards of people interested/taking part in boxing other than fighting in town centres on a friday night?
    Just how many weights are there?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    She is, and only the third person to ever hold European and World titles at the same time.

Chuck in the fact that Eventing is an inherently dangerous sport with a real risk of being killed or permanently injured - One of her friends was killed at a horse trials shortly before the World Equestrian Games - and I think she deserved it.
    Minority team sport that no-one watches, voted for by the blue rinse brigade. Never mind the UK having two fighters rated top ten in the world, and Joe C beating supposedly the best fighter at his weight. He was robbed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X