• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Oh Dear - 1 in 10 Britons have gone abroad"

Collapse

• mcquiggd
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman
    You mean this bit?

""Two-thirds of Britons who leave do so to seek employment abroad - and are replaced by skilled professionals from elsewhere in the world.

"When the going is good, Brits get going."

No I read it at about 7.30am, and it was worded differently... the story says 'updated' at midday - don't know if that has any significance....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    1 in 10 is the number who registered they were going abroad. I know a good few who haven't filled the forms in, so would suspect the figure is much higher.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    Maybe we should bring back the assisted passage. I can see it now 'Sponsor a chav send him down under'
    what again?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Maybe we should bring back the assisted passage. I can see it now 'Sponsor a chav send him down under'

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    I left many years ago and it was nothing to do with Tone and his mates but his predecessor who started it all, Maggie 'doing the Pinochet mambo' Thatcher.

which was what exactly?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    I imagine if you are hard up and a bit thick, Australia seems like paradise.
    You might be onto something there Baggy. After all, that pretty much describes 20 million Australians. Some paradise mind you, all funnel-webs and extra fingers!!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Looking at that article it appears it's mainly the morons going abroad. That's not really a bad thing is it? I imagine if you are hard up and a bit thick, Australia seems like paradise.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I left many years ago and it was nothing to do with Tone and his mates but his predecessor who started it all, Maggie 'doing the Pinochet mambo' Thatcher.

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I left quite a few years ago. The great thing is, should I return I should be able to get on that non-domicile low tax arrangement so favoured by Aussies, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Whe I read that story this morning, I'm sure there was a claim that they were replaced by 'highly skilled immigrants'...

Funny, the story timed at midday doesn't contain that claim.
    You mean this bit?

""Two-thirds of Britons who leave do so to seek employment abroad - and are replaced by skilled professionals from elsewhere in the world.

"When the going is good, Brits get going."

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    Whe I read that story this morning, I'm sure there was a claim that they were replaced by 'highly skilled immigrants'...

Yes, there was some arse New Lie drone, celebrating diversity by stating all the numpties are going to make way for a new breed of "highly skilled, super educated immigrants".

I think even the Blair Broadcasting Corp have seen that for what it is.

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Exactly my thoughts when I read it - liebour spin to mask the underlying problem...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I was discussing this with some ex-Brits at the weekend. I think this has to do with the weather, dirty trains and slummy areas. You know rusty cars poking out the Thames estuary.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    started a topic Oh Dear - 1 in 10 Britons have gone abroad

Oh Dear - 1 in 10 Britons have gone abroad

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6210358.stm

Almost one in 10 British citizens is living overseas, according to a study of people coming in and out of the UK.

Studies by the Institute for Public Policy Research, published on the BBC News website, indicate that at least 5.5m British-born people live abroad.

Figures suggest the rate of departure has been so great that population falls are only masked by immigration.

I find it amusing that:

The exodus coincides with the arrival of the New Lie.
    The immigration of non-Brits is perfectly acceptable counter balance to the departure of the indiginous population.

All is well then.

Working...
X