• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sports Personality of the Year"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    So the good old British public went for the fittest bird on the list.

Well, I would, anyway. (Not if Tindall was there, though, I hasten to add...)

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    Please tell me you are joking? Bravery?

She was born with a silver spoon in every orafice. What exactly has she had to do.

I'm very good mates with Dave Phelps who won Gold @ Melbourne Commonwealth Games. He worked in a Tesco ffs and had to pay his way as did 95% of the athletes out there.

Eventing is a hideously expensive sport at the top level, and not much cheaper lower down the scale, I know, I used to do it to county level.

It's bloody dangerous and bloody hard work. Your riding the best part of half a ton of gee'd up animal that has a mind of it's own and doesnt always agree with you on the best way to go or even if it wants go at all and all of that at around 30-35 miles an hour. Start jumping some *big* fences on the way and you'll either cack yourself or finish with a huge grin on your face depending on your mentality

Zara Philips is sponsored by Land Rover for a very large sum of money all of which is used to enable her to actually compete at the top level. Very few individuals can afford to do with their own money, Royal or not, and the returns are not good even if you win consistantly.

The only reason Land Rover do sponsor her is beacuase she is good. If she wasn't they would'nt and she would not be competeing at all.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W
    Oh dear!

Did you see the thunderous look on Darren Clarke's face though?
    Do you watch much golf? He always looks thunderous!

And being in a non-smoking studio won't have helped.

Leave a comment:

• Alf W
    replied
    Oh dear!

Did you see the thunderous look on Darren Clarke's face though?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    it probably has more to do with the good old english knocking machine in action. Because she is rich means she cant possibly be any good at anything!

And as for that tweddle chick, she has te awesome body. Surely that makes up a lot for what the face lacks?

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet

She was born with a silver spoon in every orafice. What exactly has she had to do.

I'm very good mates with Dave Phelps who won Gold @ Melbourne Commonwealth Games. He worked in a Tesco ffs and had to pay his way as did 95% of the athletes out there.
    She was born into money but as far as I am aware that doesn't make you any good and it doesn't prevent you being killed if a sodding great big horse goes arse over tip and lands on you - its happened to quite a few. I know something about her sport and know how skilled, athletic and focused you have to be just to stay on the buggers never mind being a world champion (saying that, it's the best fun you can have with your clothes on ).

Trust me the lady is brilliant. Or are you saying that being rich means you have to be rubbish? Several of the lads and lasses on this board may disagree with you

I know that there are very talented athletes that have to work 'serious' jobs to help them get to the top. I don't mean to take anything away from them and I'm not trying to denegrate their achievements, but it doesn't make them any more (or less) worthy of recognition than Zara Phillips.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy
    So is Zara - and in a high-risk sport where skill and bravery are required. The girl is brilliant and gets my vote.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Beth Tweddle. She's a world champion at something Brits find notoriously hard to compete in.

BTW why isn't Beckham in the list? I thought it was a rule.

Leave a comment:

• zathras
    replied
    Jenson button gets my vote. Not least for the way he won his first victory. Coming from 14th to win in a sport notorious for being difficult for someone to do it.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Alf W
    Shows what a great year it has been for British sport eh?

Where's Dwight Yorke?! His knackers groping during the world cup is still fresh in my mind He deserves it!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I thought you had to be 12 or something to be a top gymnast. On that basis I have no interest in seeing them in the nip!

No, legal age.

Site to dodgy will look for somthing better.Site to dodgy will look for something better.
    Last edited by Paddy; 5 December 2006, 13:54.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrsGoof
    but Beth and Nicole are both world champions
    and how about

Andy Purvis - World tiddlywinks champion
    and
    Bob Cooper - World rock, paper, scissors champion

the last 2 get my vote
    So is Zara - and in a high-risk sport where skill and bravery are required. The girl is brilliant and gets my vote.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    I'll not be watching because it's rubbish telly.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I'm not watching in case Darren Clarke wins it (squirms).

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    I thought you had to be 12 or something to be a top gymnast. On that basis I have no interest in seeing them in the nip!
    So many jokes, so little time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X