• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Army targetting the poor"

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    I must say, from my Army days, that my squaddies were absolute gems. I conversed several times with a recruiting sergeant on this very point: about how ours were the creme, and he pointed out he used various tricks to get the planks to try out for the Marines instead.
    Very funny.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I must say, from my Army days, that my squaddies were absolute gems. I conversed several times with a recruiting sergeant on this very point: about how ours were the creme, and he pointed out he used various tricks to get the planks to try out for the Marines instead.

I missed this absolute threaded gem ....

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Its standard practice

From taking the Kings shilling in the bottom of a Tankard (hence glass bottom tankards) to Micheal Moore in Bowling for Columbine its the same story, who else would want to become cannon fodder if they had a choice?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman
    What rank were you in your Army Days then Threaded? Field Marshal?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DanTheMan
    Everyone knows this happens. When I was going through basic one of my instructors basically accused everyone signing up cos they could get feck all else outside of the military. Only myself and about 2 other people disagreed. 1 said he only went in the recruitment office to get out of the rain (which made us chuckle).

and they offered you a nice cuppa, in which after taking the final sip you noticed a shiny 5p piece at the bottom.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    What rank were you in your Army Days then Threaded? Field Marshal?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanTheMan
    replied
    Caught up with a load of my old RAF mates at the weekend. They all had nice big pay packs this month - all their tax back from the time they spent in Iraq. Hmmm... should have asked where mine was. Anyway, they aren't too bothered about pay seeing as after a few years service their rate starts aproaching something worth while. And they get cheap lodgings and food. Also, you can't buy the social life that you adopt when you sign up. There are many benefits and I haven't met too many serviceman who aren't happy because of the pay. It's generally the inept leadership, tulipty conditions and crap gear that get them all down.

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Wouldnt make any difference as all kiwis are in well paying contract/permanent positions, thus ensuring their fellow english citizens are kept out of employment

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Cut rate employees = most of the so called contractors who visit this forum

or...cheap labour...either way they are the same thing

Mailman
    How would New Zealanders find work if cut rate employment were to be banned?

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Cut rate employees = most of the so called contractors who visit this forum

or...cheap labour...either way they are the same thing

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    What I want to know is what other "businesses" have been in to these poor areas trying to get cut rate employees...because I bet once you actually have the full picture you will find that the Army isnt the only group after the poor!

Mailman
    What is a cut rate employee?

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Chuckle yes....probably earnt him a beasting as well.

I;m still serving with the TA and have been on ops with the Regs and it sounds harsh but your average squaddie is exactly that from a poor background and not a rocket scientist.

Whats wrong with this? The army isnt going to pitch £9k a year squaddie jobs to Eton graduates are they?

Leave a comment:

• DanTheMan
    replied
    Everyone knows this happens. When I was going through basic one of my instructors basically accused everyone signing up cos they could get feck all else outside of the military. Only myself and about 2 other people disagreed. 1 said he only went in the recruitment office to get out of the rain (which made us chuckle).

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    What I want to know is what other "businesses" have been in to these poor areas trying to get cut rate employees...because I bet once you actually have the full picture you will find that the Army isnt the only group after the poor!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

Working...
X