• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Army trying to appeal to snowflakes"

Collapse

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Elite paratrooper and Royal Marine units could be merged | Daily Mail Online

That will not end well. By brother always made it very clear the paras biggest enemies were the RM.....
    It's another idiot move from an idiot government who are driven by the Treasury and counting beans. The old saying that they know the cost of everything but the value of nothing applies very much when it comes to the military and the modern Tories.

You can just imagine Maggie Thatcher having a "quiet" word with them about their attitude.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Elite paratrooper and Royal Marine units could be merged | Daily Mail Online

That will not end well. By brother always made it very clear the paras biggest enemies were the RM.....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Mates dad was in the Air force....

he/she is now his second mum.

and still in the air force.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Society is changing, but not all of it and not all at once, and least of all squaddie fodder.

Working class have traditionally been rather more conservative than the middle class. Women's rights, gay rights, LGBTQ+#f2§ activists are/have been primarily reasonably well of left wing activitists.

I think it was George Orwell who observed that the problem with the working class (so far as middle class marxists are concerned) is that they're so conservative.
    There have always been a good few gay folk in the army. I think it's probably the uniform that does it for them and the units with ceremonial duties with their furry hats... When I was in, one lad in my squad was Elton John gay in private despite being one of those hovering at the special forces selection level of competence and fitness. We knew it, our immediate bosses knew it, it just didn't go on record because he'd have been sacked within days and therefore had to be hidden.

The intolerant folk like pretending that there are no gays in the army while the rest of us get on with them being just part of normal society but having to stay hidden from the troglodyte minority. Much like football really...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    It's all very well producing these adverts, once the intake realises that one of them is gay they will batter the crap out of him to the point it will effect squad morale.

There seems to be a belief that society is changing, it's not, the type of people that join up will pretty much always view homosexuals with complete suspicion and will, for example, refuse to shower with them.
    Society is changing, but not all of it and not all at once, and least of all squaddie fodder.

Working class have traditionally been rather more conservative than the middle class. Women's rights, gay rights, LGBTQ+#f2§ activists are/have been primarily reasonably well of left wing activitists.

I think it was George Orwell who observed that the problem with the working class (so far as middle class marxists are concerned) is that they're so conservative.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I was listening to the discussion on Radio 2 about this, this week and it was quite interesting. One of the main problems in getting new recruits was due to the fact that the recruitment process was crap however that doesn't seem to have improved, at all. The Tories outsourced the DRS (Defence Recruitment Service) to Capita and since then there have been so many complaints because the system doesn't work...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/1...apita_drs_rpp/

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/th...equest.269029/

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What, they get taken over by Kraft, go back on their promises and shaft everyone?
    I was thinking of trying to ween the Birmingham population off gin and onto chocolate. Of providing good working and living conditions for their workers.

However I take your comments about more recent times.....

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    It's all very well producing these adverts, once the intake realises that one of them is gay they will batter the crap out of him to the point it will effect squad morale.

There seems to be a belief that society is changing, it's not, the type of people that join up will pretty much always view homosexuals with complete suspicion and will, for example, refuse to shower with them.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Excellent a german 'youth' army.

that went well last time..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Regular CoE churchgoer.

A pity there aren't more quakers around. They *tend* to keep quiet about their beliefs and try to help people. Like Cadburys.
    What, they get taken over by Kraft, go back on their promises and shaft everyone?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Perhaps Brillo's friend was a Quaker. That'd do it.
    Regular CoE churchgoer.

A pity there aren't more quakers around. They *tend* to keep quiet about their beliefs and try to help people. Like Cadburys.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Perhaps Brillo's friend was a Quaker. That'd do it.

Leave a comment:

• craig1
    replied
    At university a friend was turned down for being a Christian. Though that was 1983.
    Whereas I remember my mate in 1989 being jailed overnight for saying he was an atheist to the CO before a Sunday church parade we had during an adventure training fortnight away. Being a committed Christian in the army was not at all harmful to your career and actually opened at least as many doors as the right type of squared away handshake could do.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Times headline today "Army defends appeal to gays and Muslims". Well, that'll work well...
    At university a friend was turned down for being a Christian. Though that was 1983.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Times headline today "Army defends appeal to gays and Muslims". Well, that'll work well...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X