• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do men have a right to "hit" on women?"

Collapse

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by OneJag View Post
    You had a lucky escape, I can imagine the pure tedium of being married to a Sex Robot, with the thing (lets call her Rachel just so she has a name) constantly wittering on about her need for more WD40, how you don't listen to her anymore, repeatedly asking you to put that Dr Who story "The Robots of Death" on again. Coming home and finding her in a compromising situation with the Hoover, the bloody Hoover of all things, hasn't even got a personality.
    You may have put too much thought into this.

Leave a comment:

• OneJag
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I had a sex robot once. It insisted on marriage. Then divorced me.
    You had a lucky escape, I can imagine the pure tedium of being married to a Sex Robot, with the thing (lets call her Rachel just so she has a name) constantly wittering on about her need for more WD40, how you don't listen to her anymore, repeatedly asking you to put that Dr Who story "The Robots of Death" on again. Coming home and finding her in a compromising situation with the Hoover, the bloody Hoover of all things, hasn't even got a personality.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    It occurs less. It's reported less. Basically, it is as you surmised, and rightly so. It is far less prevalent.
    I disagree.

If there is pressure to laugh at men that are abused or to see them as less of a man, then they are not going to report abuse.

Gosh I can only imagine how bad things must get for a man to report abuse.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    It occurs less. It's reported less. Basically, it is as you surmised, and rightly so. It is far less prevalent.
    Lower reporting rates is not the same as lower level of incidents.

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    problem for me is the lack of balance

there is plenty of abuse against men, its just not reported as much

Leave a comment:

• CoolCat
    replied
    problem for me is the lack of balance

there is plenty of abuse against men, its just not reported as much

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M74KK9Kqb8k

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    It shows the seedy side of the business. He was a sex predator and there are also women that will have sex to become famous/rich.

Either way you can't deny that he was a sexual predator and should not be allowed near women.
    Indeed. I was always sure Barry George was innocent. However he was clearly a danger to women so getting him out of the way for a while was good.

I am hoping that before John Warboys is released the other 90 investigated crimes he committed will be taken up with urgency. A thoroughly evil person - he must be despised by ever black cab driver.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    indeed as so many of the victims had done so well why didn't they just freeze the little scumbag out.

Paltrow & Brad knew it was going on if either had said I am not working with wankstain when they were banking millions he would have been replaced.
    Of course - I have absolutely no idea why they did not rock the boat.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Indeed not condoning any behaviour just saying that that is the reality and everyone knew it.
    indeed as so many of the victims had done so well why didn't they just freeze the little scumbag out.

Paltrow & Brad knew it was going on if either had said I am not working with wankstain when they were banking millions he would have been replaced.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It shows the seedy side of the business. He was a sex predator and there are also women that will have sex to become famous/rich.

Either way you can't deny that he was a sexual predator and should not be allowed near women.
    Indeed not condoning any behaviour just saying that that is the reality and everyone knew it.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    If you are an actress looking for a part in a movie and get invited to do the audition in a bedroom you would be fooking stupid to not expect the 'casting couch' to show its face.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It does sounds like victim-blaming to me. "What was she wearing at the time? Well, what did she expect to happen?"

Replace 'audition' with 'meeting' and 'someone' with 'CEO'.

There are doubtless loads of allegations never brought into daylight as the victim - invariably a woman - felt they wouldn't be believed or, as you have hinted at, would be blamed for placing themselves in that situation in the first place. Rather than place meeting location boundaries and, for example, dress rules, it's better for society to criticise them all equally as infringing on the rights of anybody in the workplace. The aim of this is to improve work conditions for females.

Men don't generally understand how it feels and what affect this can have on your life as most men, thankfully, never have to even consider the notion in their mind. Lack of experience doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve (eradicate?) it for women. They have a hard enough time in the workplace in other areas, such as unequal pay and lack of career progression, without this thrown on top.
    If you are an actress looking for a part in a movie and get invited to do the audition in a bedroom you would be fooking stupid to not expect the 'casting couch' to show its face.

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    For those of you who are still confused, The Mash Report explains it for you nicely.

"Non-threatening beta male destined for the friend zone" -

Straight from the horse's mouth.

I disagree that it sounds like victim blaming. You have to be able to discuss things sensibly without rushing to the soundbites and the catchphrases.

I think there is a valid point about looking after yourself and taking responsibility. If you go to a hotel looking for a job then you have to be careful. Man or women it's a sensible thing to do. You say I will meet you in the reception or take someone with you. That's sensible, because there are sick people out there. It's not victim blaming.

Saying that it does not excuse this man from being a predator, he took advantage of his position.

Regarding the workplace, women are doing fantastically well in School and in the workplace. As many people pointed out the pay gap exists for many reasons not just sexism. I think relating a sexual assault and the pay gap or career progression is a mistake. Keep things seperate and sensible.

This - exactly what that other BBC article is saying, the whole blanket persecution thing is not having a good effect and damaging the cause.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    It does sounds like victim-blaming to me. "What was she wearing at the time? Well, what did she expect to happen?"

Replace 'audition' with 'meeting' and 'someone' with 'CEO'.

There are doubtless loads of allegations never brought into daylight as the victim - invariably a woman - felt they wouldn't be believed or, as you have hinted at, would be blamed for placing themselves in that situation in the first place. Rather than place meeting location boundaries and, for example, dress rules, it's better for society to criticise them all equally as infringing on the rights of anybody in the workplace. The aim of this is to improve work conditions for females.

Men don't generally understand how it feels and what affect this can have on your life as most men, thankfully, never have to even consider the notion in their mind. Lack of experience doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve (eradicate?) it for women. They have a hard enough time in the workplace in other areas, such as unequal pay and lack of career progression, without this thrown on top.
    I disagree that it sounds like victim blaming. You have to be able to discuss things sensibly without rushing to the soundbites and the catchphrases.

I think there is a valid point about looking after yourself and taking responsibility. If you go to a hotel looking for a job then you have to be careful. Man or women it's a sensible thing to do. You say I will meet you in the reception or take someone with you. That's sensible, because there are sick people out there. It's not victim blaming.

Saying that it does not excuse this man from being a predator, he took advantage of his position.

Regarding the workplace, women are doing fantastically well in School and in the workplace. As many people pointed out the pay gap exists for many reasons not just sexism. I think relating a sexual assault and the pay gap or career progression is a mistake. Keep things seperate and sensible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X