• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: More police sexism

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "More police sexism"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by fatboyslim View Post
    the attrition rate does seem rather low, but police are not superhumans, they have not got the numbers to solve crimes.
    The number of detective is pretty low it seems, and they are burdened with cases. However it cant be an excuse to prosecute innocents so that your stats look good.
    'Why I quit my dream job as a police detective' - BBC News

It will be interesting stats to know, the number cases handled per detective(current as well as historical).
    My limited experience is that they seem to have no systemic approach to crimes and fail to implement best practice. With a volume like this you have to plan.

I was on jury service and a not dissimilar case was halted because they had again failed to review the electronic communications among other significant but simple procedural failures.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Do you have a source for this?
    Just the words of the barrister that searched the 40k texts. Sobering read.

Can’t remember her name, and to my shame the article was in the dm.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    very useful thanks. 58% is more sensible. Not sure why the attrition rate is so low but I suspect Burglary and car crime have similar levels. So basically the Police are crap.
    the attrition rate does seem rather low, but police are not superhumans, they have not got the numbers to solve crimes.
    The number of detective is pretty low it seems, and they are burdened with cases. However it cant be an excuse to prosecute innocents so that your stats look good.
    'Why I quit my dream job as a police detective' - BBC News

It will be interesting stats to know, the number cases handled per detective(current as well as historical).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    yes, and your point is?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nviction-rates

seems its not that low, and inline with other reported crimes.
    very useful thanks. 58% is more sensible. Not sure why the attrition rate is so low but I suspect Burglary and car crime have similar levels. So basically the Police are crap.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    But I very much doubt this sort of thing only applies to rape cases.
    Agreed very strongly. Police are evil.

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah whatever.

You are aware of the rate of conviction?
    yes, and your point is?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...nviction-rates

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yes its 6-10%

which is tulip.

Now why do you think complaining that the conviction rate is poor when lying scumbags are trying to bury innocent people is helping your cause?

I am all for prosecuting the guilty, but it appears the CPS couldn't find their elbows with sat nav! Atack the muppets!!!!
    seems its not that low, and inline with other reported crimes.
    Last edited by fatboyslim; 24 December 2017, 12:16.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Also, there does seem to be a lowering of the bar with sexual assault to make up for years of poor conviction rates.
    Do you have a source for this?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Interesting views here (albeit US). https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-abou...e-accusations/

An good point is that "False accusers almost never tell stories that could, by any stretch of the imagination, be seen as an innocent misunderstanding" - if you were vindictively accusing someone of rape, your story is not going to leave room for interpretation.

In this case, the police were very wrong to withhold evidence that did not support their views. But I very much doubt this sort of thing only applies to rape cases.
    It applies to other crimes to but as I said if you are accused of rape and your name is released then that stigma will stick with you for life .

Also, there does seem to be a lowering of the bar with sexual assault to make up for years of poor conviction rates.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Interesting views here (albeit US). https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-abou...e-accusations/

An good point is that "False accusers almost never tell stories that could, by any stretch of the imagination, be seen as an innocent misunderstanding" - if you were vindictively accusing someone of rape, your story is not going to leave room for interpretation.

In this case, the police were very wrong to withhold evidence that did not support their views. But I very much doubt this sort of thing only applies to rape cases.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    More police sexism

Reading up on this one of the issues is if a women makes a false allegation it’s very hard for her to take it back. She can’t just go into the station and say I was having a hard time, she will get prosecuted.

Also need anonymity for the accused, regardless if the case is dropped there is still huge stigma and I doubt these men recover.

Finally, it seems according to one barrister that the police are trying to make up for years of poor conviction rates by assuming guilt and not investigating properly.

But as it’s an issue that affects men nothing will be done.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Yeah whatever.

Any suggestions for how to improve it?

BTW I don't really care about the stats. I care far more about the huge number of men getting away with criminal, immoral offences. Which they are.

Do all dates have to be recorded? Are chaperones needed?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Yeah whatever.

yes its 6-10%

which is tulip.

Now why do you think complaining that the conviction rate is poor when lying scumbags are trying to bury innocent people is helping your cause?

I am all for prosecuting the guilty, but it appears the CPS couldn't find their elbows with sat nav! Atack the muppets!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I hope the dude gets compensated for this, and action taken against people who overlooked the evidence. As society we decided to lower the bar(in terms of evidence required to prove somebody guilty of this kind of crime), it needs to go back to a higher level, commensurate to the level of punishment it attracts.
    Yeah whatever.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I disagree.

oh! - right

Leave a comment:

• fatboyslim
    replied
    I hope the dude gets compensated for this, and action taken against people who overlooked the evidence. As society we decided to lower the bar(in terms of evidence required to prove somebody guilty of this kind of crime), it needs to go back to a higher level, commensurate to the level of punishment it attracts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X