• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Who's going to drive us to Hinterglem"

Collapse

• original PM
    replied
    Alfa Stelvio is probably the choice you are looking for - when it comes out in the quadrifoglio guise anyway.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    The QPV DS i have has the engine sat well back in the engine bay with the clutch and gearbox ahead of the rear ae for near 50:50 weight distrubution. When they stuck thd ZF at the front too on the QP Automatica and claimed 50:50 on that setup too i thought simething wasnt quite right.

I have 285 Pirelli P-zeros on the back and 265’s on the front and i find it a bit floaty up front on the motorway. Pirellis are pants though.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    You'd be surprised how well a RWD car with the right tyres and a modicum of driver talent can go in winter conditions
    Oh Dear...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Maserati is mostly Chrysler bits now, i have the Ferrari F1 duo select in my QP V, the engine is the Ferrari F430, no idea what motors they put in them niw but a lot are diesels...
    good morning Stek,

I always liked the QP, especially the generation which came out around 2004 and evolved into what we have today

beautiful grand tourer

I'd love one, but as a family we're so used to the higher ride height of an SUV that when I ask my Mrs and children if the next car should be a limousine the answer is a unanimous no. I like the latest generation S Class, but would be equally happy with a QP.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It’s all Maserati, although the gearbox is a ZF-8HP, so pretty much the same as in BMW/Audi/Bentley/Alfa/etc.
    Maserati is mostly Chrysler bits now, i have the Ferrari F1 duo select in my QP V, the engine is the Ferrari F430, no idea what motors they put in them niw but a lot are diesels...

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    It’s all Maserati, although the gearbox is a ZF-8HP, so pretty much the same as in BMW/Audi/Bentley/Alfa/etc.
    thanks,

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    my only worry is, is the Levante really a Maserati or is it a Fiat/GM wrapped up in a nice badge ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    The Levante is a great car - sets you apart from the hordes that think the Cayenne is good.

my only worry is, is the Levante really a Maserati or is it a Fiat/GM wrapped up in a nice badge ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    morning all,

back safely after a fantastic weekend in Hinterglem.

Loads of snow, great people and a great time.

We spent a lot of the non skiing time discussing cars and in particular Benes's next chariot because according to the accountant now that the Q7 is in it's fifth year its gotta go otherwise I am missing a fiscal opportunity.

Two cars came into the picture, the Maserati Levante and the Cayenne. I'm not sure about the Maserati, but the new Cayenne looks nice and I am tempted to change from being a loyal oil burner to a petrolhead. The base model cayenne with the 340hp petrol and loaded up with options is a nice car, obviously the S would be more fun. The new shape is more interesting than the last one.

Back to the skiing, the driver was so, how to say it, calm, he got us down there and back on a tank of diesel, I'd have burnt a tank and a half

Had some great food down there, excellent steaks in particular and of course the gulasch soups, prices are fine, service is excellent.

Hinterglem is beautiful and I strongly recommend it.

Milan.
    The Levante is a great car - sets you apart from the hordes that think the Cayenne is good.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    by the way, those of you who were saying the that the XC90 would be great in the snow, one of the group has an XC90 and says he doesn't trust it in the snow and has had some bad experiences

obviously the Q7 with audi's legendary Quattro system performed faultlessly and had some nice tests on snow covered hilly roads

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    morning all,

back safely after a fantastic weekend in Hinterglem.

Loads of snow, great people and a great time.

We spent a lot of the non skiing time discussing cars and in particular Benes's next chariot because according to the accountant now that the Q7 is in it's fifth year its gotta go otherwise I am missing a fiscal opportunity.

Two cars came into the picture, the Maserati Levante and the Cayenne. I'm not sure about the Maserati, but the new Cayenne looks nice and I am tempted to change from being a loyal oil burner to a petrolhead. The base model cayenne with the 340hp petrol and loaded up with options is a nice car, obviously the S would be more fun. The new shape is more interesting than the last one.

Back to the skiing, the driver was so, how to say it, calm, he got us down there and back on a tank of diesel, I'd have burnt a tank and a half

Had some great food down there, excellent steaks in particular and of course the gulasch soups, prices are fine, service is excellent.

Hinterglem is beautiful and I strongly recommend it.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    greetings from the car

the navigation says we've got another hour to go

the x6 driver is actually a much calmer driver than me
    and I reckon we're going to get better consumption from him than I get with my full throttle and hard braking style

We've done half the bottle of Williams excluding the driver of course

Tootle pip

Milan

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    You'd be surprised how well a RWD car with the right tyres and a modicum of driver talent can go in winter conditions
    Especially with a mid/rear engine to get a bit of weight over the rear wheels.

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'll doff my cap - I wouldn't want to try that in any rwd car, and particularly one with 430bhp! One slip and the back end isn't where it ought to be, and ones trousers are full of brown. Give me 4wd every time.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    the winter tyres on the Q7 are on their fifth season

leaving soon

wish us luck

Milan
    Just as well you have that bottle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X